General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

95 z28 wont start all the time help plz??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 z28 wont start all the time help plz??

i bought a 1995 camaro z28 with 168,000 miles on it for 1500. the only thing wrong is when u try to start it it wont start all the time. the other night i put jumper cables to it and tried for 30 mins after i was about to give up it started up. the fuel pump has been replaced as well as the starter i dont know what to do any help please?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does it do when you turn the key?

Does NOTHING (no cranking) or has a security light come on at the guage cluster,you might have an issue with the VATS security system (basically the little security bit on your ignition key and/or how it's being read by the car).

Also check your relays (starter/fuel).Not sure on an LT1 but they should be under the hood in the fuse box.

If the car is cranking but not starting, check your fuel filter (actually seen them get bad enough where they cause a no start condition).

Check all your engine grounds.

Confirm that you have fuel pressure with a guage. Just because the pump has been replaced,doesn't mean that there isn't a seperate issue keep the fuel from reaching the engine,

Hmmm... Kick it!! Sometimes it works for me... sorry.

Good luck man...just take your time.These problems can be a headache.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:02 PM

when i turn the key it tries to crank some times and times it will after 20 mins of trying. well i changed the distributor and now im in the middle of pullin spark plugs (which by the way is a pain in the ***) but all the ones that i pulled they are black and corroded and the diode part is like a pin needle when the ones i bought are flat. i really dont know what else to do any ideas thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris88330
when i turn the key it tries to crank some times and times it will after 20 mins of trying. well i changed the distributor and now im in the middle of pullin spark plugs (which by the way is a pain in the ***) but all the ones that i pulled they are black and corroded and the diode part is like a pin needle when the ones i bought are flat. i really dont know what else to do any ideas thanks

I say you are on the right track...

You always (as you are doing) have to make sure that all the simple obvious things are not the problem and you work your way up from there.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

check that little pigtail harness going into the opti (distributor). I had a '96 that I bought and the end of that harness (plastic piece that housed the pins) fell apart and was no longer making contact to the pins inside the opti. basic tune up stuff, plugs wires and coil, are a good idea too if they are in question.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 AM

yea i changed all that last night we sprayed ether into the intake and it fired up so we pulled the injectors and found that 4 were dry so gonna replace them today hope that works
Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 PM

ok havent changed the injectors yet. this is the weird thing i was using my battery at first got the problem of no starting then i used my friends battery still not starting like it wont hold a charge he put his battery in his camaro and now his is doing the same thing mine is what is going on?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 PM

ok got new injectors put them in and its still doing the same thing cranking not starting we spray carb cleaner in it and it fires right up any idea what could be making it not start need help bad

Quick Reply: 95 z28 wont start all the time help plz??