General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Original hoses and belt?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Original hoses and belt?

OK, a long 6,000 mile cross country trip is coming up next year and I have the original hoses and belt. ONLY 21,000 miles on the car, garage kept, and engine compartment is clean! The Dexcool was changed a year ago just due to the age but looked real good. Should I change anything or is it a waste of money? Even the GM mechanic thought my belt had been replaced the last time I was in for service but it is the original. That's how nice it looks, but now pushing 10 years old since the car was built in Oct '00. The hoses are just as nice.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
OK, a long 6,000 mile cross country trip is coming up next year and I have the original hoses and belt. ONLY 21,000 miles on the car, garage kept, and engine compartment is clean! The Dexcool was changed a year ago just due to the age but looked real good. Should I change anything or is it a waste of money? Even the GM mechanic thought my belt had been replaced the last time I was in for service but it is the original. That's how nice it looks, but now pushing 10 years old since the car was built in Oct '00. The hoses are just as nice.
I wouldn't change anything at only 21,000 miles...unless the hoses are soft and gushy feeling or you can see any bulges at all in them anywhere on them. Serpentine belt...you should always carry one with you, period. My original 1998 hoses (12+ yrs old) held up till just this year when I started replacing them as preventative maintenance, but they were all still ok looking. Something like 200,000 miles total on those radiator hoses.

However.....I always carry three things with me at all times. I did alot of driving 420 mile trips every weekend Orlando-Ft. Lauderdale-Orlando.
-new serpentine belt
-8" long piece of heater hose in case my heater core or heater lines blow, then I can just pop the hood and pull the two hoses off the water pump and put that 8" piece on till I can get somewhere to fix it totally. You could also use two simple caps with clamps for that.
-A/C belt

I guess carrying an upper and lower radiator hose for a long trip through the desert or something would be a GREAT idea. And 3 gallons of water. But if you're doing driving through cities and driving near civilization, why bother.

Bring tools to take the t-stat housing off to be able to remove the t-stat if its starts sticking on you. You can bolt the housing back on without the t-stat in there and drive just fine.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I can't believe you have 200,000 miles on your hoses! They definitely are making them stronger than in years past. I am not going to worry about it. I'm just remembering the short life spans of hoses from my 70's and 80's cars. I really appreciate your post and I will take your advice about the heater hose (great quick fix I didn't know about) and a spare belt. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I can't believe you have 200,000 miles on your hoses! They definitely are making them stronger than in years past. I am not going to worry about it. I'm just remembering the short life spans of hoses from my 70's and 80's cars. I really appreciate your post and I will take your advice about the heater hose (great quick fix I didn't know about) and a spare belt. Thanks!
Yup, I know people that have been stranded because their heater core burst or one of those heater lines. Any kind of car would be stranded if they sprung leaks.
I'm doing all metal break lines next week to replace these 200,000 mile factory rubber lines, they're looking ok, but I'm not taking chances.
My high pressure original power steering line sprung a very slow leak 2 weeks ago, changed that.

I've had great luck with this car and its factory original parts.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Quote: "I've had great luck with this car and its factory original parts."

That is an understatement, especially living in the summer heat of FL. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i dont trust 10 yr old rubber........its made better these days.........but NOT that much better
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Yeah that

I will be replacing my radiator soon(has a leak) and while i'm at it I will be replacing the hoses as well.

Hoses look new still(63k miles on them)

Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check for any cracks. im surprised they havent dry rotted after all this time.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

They look and feel perfect. No cracks on the belt. Hoses appear new. Garage kept so no freezing temps ever.
I just happened to ask my neighbor yesterday about his '98 Taurus SHO with 85,000 miles on it. I know it isn't GM related but a somewhat similar V8 car. He never changed his! 3 years older and much more mileage than mine. He says everything is like new and has no intentions of changing anything. I know he is meticulous and keeps his car in the garage but pretty impressive.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i think the way the newer rubber is made it hides obvious defects.....i remember reading about my belts.....gates website said that little cracks in the drive belt were nothing to worry about......i think after 10 yrs or 100,000 miles.....20-30 $ is a cheap price for piece of mind
Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i think the way the newer rubber is made it hides obvious defects.....i remember reading about my belts.....gates website said that little cracks in the drive belt were nothing to worry about......i think after 10 yrs or 100,000 miles.....20-30 $ is a cheap price for piece of mind
Couldn't have said better myself

I spent $37 to be exact on both radiator hoses

Went with GoodYear

Search this Thread