General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant bleed screws

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Coolant bleed screws

Hey folks, this might sound silly but I don't see the bleeder screws for the coolant. On my LT1 they're easy enough to find-right on the t-stat housing but I don't see anything on my 'LS. How many screws are there and where are they located? Thanks in advance...
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

*Install Documents
**Coolant
***160 Thermostat install

At the end, it tells ya how to do it.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Wow, thanks. That's a nifty trick, and sounds easier than the LT1. Here comes the green stuff!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...no bleed valves on LSX engines.. I leave the cap off and run the motor for 15 minutes to get air out.

I would be careful about green.... most does not mix well with yellow GM antifreeze..... make sure you read the label first.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
...no bleed valves on LSX engines.. I leave the cap off and run the motor for 15 minutes to get air out.

I would be careful about green.... most does not mix well with yellow GM antifreeze..... make sure you read the label first.
That's what I did with my LT1-leave the cap off, stick a funnel in to catch the bubbling coolant and let the air out that way. It's messy but I'd rather deal with that than a drowned 'opti.

As for my LS1, yeah I'm banking on Prestone's claim that their green'll mix with anything. I'm making sure to flush the motor out as best as I can. I wish I could just run a hose while the motor's running but I can't get any of this stuff on the ground.

Thanks guys...
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always have the nose on stands to promote air leaving at the highest point. IF the car is on the ground and your running a heater core, you CAN have a air bound area.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bled my coolent yesterday with the heater on and car on the ground, car started going past middle on the temp guage, turned out there was a big *** air bubble inside waiting to come out.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Phew. All done. Leave it up to me to pick the hottest day of the year to do this. Now I play the waiting game, to see if any issues come up. Strange thing though, I couldn't get any of the cars to take more than two gallons of mix-I guess I didn't get enough of the flush water out...
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Alright, well 2 weeks or so later the cars seem to be running in the proper temperature zones. I couldn't help but notice the antifreeze testers at the parts store, so I picked one up. Now in case anyone doesn't know, some of these testers, like the one I bought, supposedly indicate the strength of the coolant based on how many little ***** end up floating in a sample of coolant. I tested the cars and the results weren't pretty: I averaged one floating ball which, according to the user chart, says I'm only protected from +20 to 215 degrees.

What exactly is this thing saying-that there isn't enough coolant in the mix? Not enough water? Dirty coolant mix? I don't get it...
Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^

Generally speaking the more coolant in the mix will improve the temp range. IMO if your following the directions and doing a 50/50 mix, you should be fine. In Connecticut, we get down to -30's some days and I have not had an issue. @ your location do you even get the freezing point?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking this is what happened: I thought I'd be smart and buy 50/50 pre-mix so all I'd have to do was just pour the stuff in. It didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be able to get all of the flush water out of the blocks. I'm guessing that the 50/50 mix is really diluted now. I guess I'll just drain a bit and then pour straight coolant in.

All of this is dependent on my understanding of the coolant tester: I THINK it's telling me there isn't enough coolant in the sytem. If you guys think otherwise lemme know...

Quick Reply: Coolant bleed screws