General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clicking noise from underneath car. help ASAP please

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise from underneath car. help ASAP please

I know for a fact that the starter is going bad in my 97 trans am. Lately there's been a delay in starting and the other day I went to start it and nothing happened. Turned it off then tried again and it started. Plus, the shop I had check out my transmission before we got a new one even said it was going out. I just haven't had a chance to replace it yet.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because this morning when my husband started the car there was a really loud clicking noise coming from underneath the car. It's been doing it all day and seems to do it more when you push on the gas. It's not coming from underneath the hood it's coming from the bottom / underneath the actual car. Could this loud clicking noise be coming from the starter since it's been going out? Or could it be something else.

Hoping it's just the starter making the continuous clicking noise! I have a 10 hr drive coming up next week and I need to get it fixed ASAP!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Launching!

definatley a problem. Do not, under ANY circumstances, take a trip without getting it positively fixed. The first thing I would do, is, disconnect the negative post on the battery, then, remove the BIG black ground wire that runs to the starter. Clean it with a wire brush, along with all the other contacts. Then reconnect it. That is a great place to start. Will it click while its idling in park? or does it have to be moving? if it only clicks while your moving, then it sounds like you have 2 issues going on. If it clicks on park, get under there and isolate the sound of what is clicking. Let me know how it goes!

Is this on an fbody? if it is front wheel drive car, axle shafts will click when you turn when they go bad.... If is has a pattern to the sound, it is going to be drivetrain related... something spinning with the wheels....?

Last edited by 98pontiac; 09-28-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: I see that it does it more when your on the gas.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Teching In

yes, a 97 trans am. it seems to slightly click while at idle but once you push the gas it gets A LOT worse.

Quick Reply: clicking noise from underneath car. help ASAP please