General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal switch replacement.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn signal switch replacement.

If there is a write up on this please post a link because I couldn't find it lol.

2002 camaro ss. Turn signals quit working, but the 4-way flashers continue to work. replaced flasher relay (just to try it) and no luck. Next step is the turn signal switch. my questions are this;

Do you have to remove the steering wheel? Are there and 'tricks' to getting to it that I should know ahead of time to save myself the headache? Or, is there something else that I should be trying before I dig into the switch?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ethan.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you have an electrical tester to test the circuit at the flasher you just replaced? Probably more likely that you have a bulb/socket problem or a dud flasher than a problem with the switch.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you replaced the right flasher there are 2 one for blinkers and one for hazards? The switch doesn't usually just go bad if its not the relay it could just be bulbs or something easy
Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

I just had the same issure today! after some heavy rain yesterday I start the car this morning and no blinkers but the 4 way flashers (emergency blinkers) work. Where is the signal relay? Under the hood ? because i didnt see it in the fuse box inside the car.. this is on a 2002 WS6
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gav91183
I just had the same issure today! after some heavy rain yesterday I start the car this morning and no blinkers but the 4 way flashers (emergency blinkers) work. Where is the signal relay? Under the hood ? because i didnt see it in the fuse box inside the car.. this is on a 2002 WS6
The signal relay is the flasher located under the steering column and behind the knee panel. There is a hazard switch clipped on left side, and a turn signal flasher clipped on the right side.

If you've replaced the turn signal flasher, be sure it's the one on the right side and you replaced it with the proper flasher. This is important because the hazard flasher is made to relay double the current of the turn signal flasher.

The switch assembly is pretty pricey to replace ($100+?), so before you commit to replacing it I'd go around and pull every bulb on the flasher circuit (including the side markers) and check to make sure the bulb is in good condition and its pig tail isn't burned up. Any bad bulbs could be sending a ground loop back through the system which would cause to operate improperly or not at all.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

thanks Ill have to check it out. is it easy to get to?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gav91183
thanks Ill have to check it out. is it easy to get to?
the flasher? you just need to know what your looking for. once you get the knee panel off you'll want to look up to the right. you wont be able to see the actual flasher itself, it's clipped on the opposite that you're looking in from. Instead look for the back of the clip itself.

Is it hard to get to?
no.

Is it in an awkward spot that requires you to bend around real funny and poke your head up your steering column's skirt for the money shot?
yes
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Are you sure you replaced the right flasher there are 2 one for blinkers and one for hazards? The switch doesn't usually just go bad if its not the relay it could just be hid bulb or something easy
This.. It sounds like you either have some burned blinkers or you might need to replace the flasher unit.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
the flasher? you just need to know what your looking for. once you get the knee panel off you'll want to look up to the right. you wont be able to see the actual flasher itself, it's clipped on the opposite that you're looking in from. Instead look for the back of the clip itself.

Is it hard to get to?
no.

Is it in an awkward spot that requires you to bend around real funny and poke your head up your steering column's skirt for the money shot?
yes
odd thing, when i left work this afternoon, damn blinkers started working again.. my brother and i are confused as can be. would they start working again if its the Flasher?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The flasher is thermal and is affected by temperature.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
The flasher is thermal and is affected by temperature.
explains why it wont work.. guess that proves whats messed up.. thanks for yalls help, ill replace it!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

do you know the part number? oriellys gave me the one for the hazards and it doesnt work properly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal switch replacement.