General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Couple questions about an already tossed AIR system.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Couple questions about an already tossed AIR system.

A previous owner removed the entire AIR system. However, when I had the headlights out to clean and polish the lenses, I noticed that they had left the AIR pump below the driver side headlight bolted up. I was about to remove it, but noticed that it was still plugged in to the engine harness, the weatherpack plug was still plugged in.

I unplugged the plug and turned the car on to see if it would throw any codes, but it did not. However, I plugged it back in and decided to leave it alone until I asked about it here. With only the AIR pump remaining and plugged in, with the hoses and rest of the system cut and removed, is it likely that the AIR system codes were tuned out, but this part was just left due to it requiring a bit of work to remove? On a 2nd look just now, there are two weatherpack plugs down there. One is Red and plugged in, the second looks Purple and is disconnected.

I would like to remove it, just because the rest of the system is gone, so there's no reason for it to take up even out of the way space anymore. Also, if I can toss it, do I need to do anything with the weatherpack plug or is just letting it hang loose and open to the elements fine?

Edit: Ignore the below bit about the throttle body, I did more research and it is the throttle body bypass.

Next, in this picture, the circled tube on the TB... I assume this is part of the emissions system and was left open to the air when the previous owner tossed the emissions components in the dumpster. I suppose it could also be part of the coolant bypass, but I haven't looked into that at all. Should this tube be capped off or is leaving it as is fine? The picture is huge in size, so, warning given on that.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/E/l/Elthesh/IMG_0547a.JPG

For reference, the car has long tube Pacesetters, off road y, no cats obviously, no rear o2s obviously as well and (I assume the front ones are hidden in there somewhere, but I haven't gotten under there to check), AIR system tossed in the trash mostly, stall, tranny work, tranny cooler, lid and I have to assume a tune due to the lack of any codes being thrown.

So, to recap...
Can I safely unplug and toss the AIR pump without codes being thrown?
If yes, do I need to seal up the weatherpack plug or anything?

Last edited by Elthesh; 10-05-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 99 TransAm and the same thing going on, I just pulled it on the lift and took the air pump out and cut as much of the wire as I could. The pump had been tuned out so no codes appeared. So the answer to your question is yes you can remove this dead weight as long as its been tuned out in your computer.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even if its not tuned out it might not throw codes, the air system is intended to warm the cats up faster on cold starts, so if it did throw codes it would expect them to be catalytic efficiency codes. either way it shouldnt effect the way the car runs at all.

Last edited by cherryelky305; 10-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good then. I'll unbolt that pump and remove it the next chance I get. Thanks for all the info.