General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering pump leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering pump leak?

Noticed something leaking under the car a couple days ago and it turns out the power steering pump is leaking. I couldn't really tell where it was leaking from, so I removed the alternator (which was soaked in power steering fluid) and it looks like its seeping where it bolts to the block??? Previous owner replaced it once before, but it looks like I'll be replacing it soon enough. Should I buy one with the reservoir or not?
Attached Thumbnails Power steering pump leak?-img_5276.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would try just buying the pump first and make sure that the o-rings come with it. I had a similar problem when i installed a new pump and forgot the o-rings for the reservoir. I just replaced my pump and alternator because of a faulty pump =/
Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zerokube
i would try just buying the pump first and make sure that the o-rings come with it. I had a similar problem when i installed a new pump and forgot the o-rings for the reservoir. I just replaced my pump and alternator because of a faulty pump =/
How difficult was it to remove the pump? Did you leave the pulley attached?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Can't tell from the picture, but if its coming from the back, its probably the o-ring.

The o-ring is an odd size and you won't be able to get one at the local parts store. Regardless, you have to take the pump off to replace it, so you should probably just replace the whole thing with a rebuilt unit while you have it off.

Getting the pump off is a PITA. You do have to take the pulley off in order to get to the bolts. This requires a puller, which you can rent.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump leak?