General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ok guy's need some help.... steering wheel play

Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok guy's need some help.... steering wheel play

Is there anyway to fix a steering wheel that when you put pressure on it slightly in gives a little play in this part right here. Does anybody know what im talkign about, i mean you can grab the steering wheel and it has play in it somewhat its as if one side has a little play in it and hte other side dont? Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix this? Here's a pic of where the part gives play at....
Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

The bolts that hold the internals together have come loose. Take it to a dealer or search the net for some help if you feel confident enough to tackle it. I've done a bunch of them, its nothing a novice should be screwing with. GM should have used locktite on the bolts.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
The bolts that hold the internals together have come loose. Take it to a dealer or search the net for some help if you feel confident enough to tackle it. I've done a bunch of them, its nothing a novice should be screwing with. GM should have used locktite on the bolts.
Well I try to tackle stuff to avoid the dealerships ..lol but believe it or not done took it down to where it was all apart except I didnt go past where im pointing at in the pic, where exactly are these screws your talking about? Are they past the tilt spring?? Cause I didnt go into that part lol how exactly do you tighten them if thats the case?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mechanically they are about the same as my elcamino, i fixed mine and had to go past the tilt spring, its way back there, 3 or 4 bolts. i think its 4, but i only tightned 3 because the fourth was way to hard to get to. good luck.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
mechanically they are about the same as my elcamino, i fixed mine and had to go past the tilt spring, its way back there, 3 or 4 bolts. i think its 4, but i only tightned 3 because the fourth was way to hard to get to. good luck.
Dang it man!.....that's what I thought ow well (lol) guess ill tear back into it tomorrow then thanks for the info....
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

i realize its not specific to your vehicle, and it wont be an exact description. however this may help, i believe its very close mechanically.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

let us know how it works out.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Banned

Be careful lots of unforgiving things inside there, be sure to test the steering on stands before you drive it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i had a few things come up so hopefully ill get to it this weekend if nothing else comes up ill keep y'all posted......
Old 10-13-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CULATR
well i had a few things come up so hopefully ill get to it this weekend if nothing else comes up ill keep y'all posted......
Awesome. I am having this problem as well. Not enough to bring it to the stealership for repairs though...I'd rather just order this-> http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...02F&itemtype=N
Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

my 2000 Z28 does it also..

I'm just going to leave it alone!

Search this Thread