General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help... Car troubles..

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help... Car troubles..

I've had the car for 3 years, not once did it not start until last week. Talking to the guy I bought the car from he said it happened to him once and it was a relay. I changed the relay, and I'm still having problems. It has started 4 or 5 times out of many attempts. When it does start it runs just fine, I'll shut it off and try to start it back up and nothing. It only starts with starting fluid sprayed into the tb. Any ideas? This one has me and a few of my buddies scratching our heads... Sorry for the long post.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the fuel pump turn on every time? Have you taken any pressure readings off of your fuel system?
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I can hear the fuel pump, I'm getting 50-55 psi at the fuel rails. I was talking to someone today, they said maybe the injectors are not opening up everytime. I'll have to look into that, but after that I dont know where to go next. Thanks for the reply, if anyone has anymore ideas I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of fuel pressure do you have while cranking? Seems to me to be a fueling problem bc it will start with starting fluid.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crank Shaft Position sensor is probably on its way out...........and NO, you won't get an SES light or a code till it totally fails.

A real dirty MAF also kills the starting process...............cold engine only.