General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cleaned Maf, Now car idles high/weird

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaned Maf, Now car idles high/weird

I recently took my MAF apart and sprayed it down with some maf cleaner. I completely let it dry before i put it back in and re installed everything. Ever since, my car idles extremely high (12-1300 RPMS while cold, around 1000 when it's completely warmed up. The car also acts extremely weird, especially when it's cold. It almost sounds like it's gasping for air, doesn't respond very well, it's kind of hard to explain. I took everything back apart, put it all back together and it still does this. What could i have possibly done? I didn't touch anything besides cleaning the MAF...
Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Teching In

The MAF's are so sensitive, people recommend to not touch them because of the issues that come with it. This might be a good time to upgrade if you can afford it. If the MAF is messed up i wouldn't even bother with trying to fix it agian.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't even really need to clean it, i was just bored and figured it wouldn't hurt.......I can't afford to buy a new MAF. I wonder how much one would go for at a junk yard, i just need a stock one as my car has no modifications.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Yeah, if nothings wrong with it dont fix it I've been there and done that buddy dont feel too bad. I'd search the classifieds for a used MAF.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe you unhooked a hose or a connector somewhere by accident? Recheck all of your work in putting everything back together...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Maybe you unhooked a hose or a connector somewhere by accident? Recheck all of your work in putting everything back together...
+1 - check the electrical connectors around the air cleaner, especially for the temperature sensor.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Everything is connected/tight. Checked it like 5 times.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A MAF can't make your engine idle higher. The only way that can happen is if there is MORE air getting in there.....MAF's only read what air is coming through.

Engines cannot increase in RPM without MORE air.........

Maybe clean the IAC valve.

Make sure the TB is closing all the way and its not dirty as hell.
Make sure the vacuum line that connects to the bottom passengers side of the intake isn't cracked.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-11-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
A MAF can't make your engine idle higher. The only way that can happen is if there is MORE air getting in there.....MAF's only read what air is coming through.

Engines cannot increase in RPM without MORE air.........

Maybe clean the IAC valve.

Make sure the TB is closing all the way and its not dirty as hell.
Make sure the vacuum line that connects to the bottom passengers side of the intake isn't cracked.

TB is closing all the way, it was a little dirty but not bad but i cleaned it up a little. I cleaned up the IAC valve, even the sticky **** on that rubber piece) And i couldn't find any visible cracks in any vacuum lines...

The weirdest part about this all is on cold starts. When i start the car cold, it has a crazy surge up to like 1600 RPMS or so, but falls down to 1200 or so until it warms up.

Last edited by slikrider20; 10-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slikrider20
TB is closing all the way, it was a little dirty but not bad but i cleaned it up a little. I cleaned up the IAC valve, even the sticky **** on that rubber piece) And i couldn't find any visible cracks in any vacuum lines...

The weirdest part about this all is on cold starts. When i start the car cold, it has a crazy surge up to like 1600 RPMS or so, but falls down to 1200 or so until it warms up.
You have a vacuum leak.....or.....the IAC valve is acting up on you.

There is absolutely no other way for an engine to increase in RPM's.........air must get in somewhere for this to happen.

More fuel (TB closed) or more spark will not increase RPM's.

Can you pull a MAF off a friends car to see if that fixes it? Maybe you messed up the MAF and its causing the IAC valve to open up a little bit more than it should.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the maf completely then run the engine. If it still acts up you have other troubles.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
You have a vacuum leak.....or.....the IAC valve is acting up on you.

There is absolutely no other way for an engine to increase in RPM's.........air must get in somewhere for this to happen.

More fuel (TB closed) or more spark will not increase RPM's.

Can you pull a MAF off a friends car to see if that fixes it? Maybe you messed up the MAF and its causing the IAC valve to open up a little bit more than it should.

I actually did this, it still idles high. It must have just been a coincidence with the MAF thing. I really don't know alot about the vacuum lines or anything. Nothing is visible to my eye.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What type of lid are you running? Any other intake mods? Like most have said it's either a vacuum leak somewhere between the maf and tb or you mess up the maf somehow.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

SLP lid, car is bone stock minus the lid/cut-out. Someone post a picture of where this possible vacuum leak could be coming from.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

I actually did this, it still idles high. It must have just been a coincidence with the MAF thing. I really don't know alot about the vacuum lines or anything. Nothing is visible to my eye.
If you put another MAF on there and it still idles high......you have a vacuum leak or the IAC valve is going bad. I guess you could have a cracked intake too, that has happened, but its pretty rare. To check for that crack...run the engine and simply lean on all parts of the intake side to side and front to back and see if you hear anything change or hiss. Make sure all the intake bolts are tight too......

Finding a vacuum leak is pretty easy. Sometimes they hiss pretty loud. They are usually behind the intake. Feel around back there and "lightly" move the hoses around a bit with the engine running, see if you hear anything like a hiss. Don't force anything as you can break the Oil Pressure Sending Unit easily if you really lean on it.

Make sure the vacuum hoses near the PCM and that little black plastic "T" fitting is, see if they are all on there.

Then follow the hose from the front passengers side of the intake as far back and around the back of the engine as you can....all the way acriss to the drivers side valve cover.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

When you say vacuum hoses, are you talking about the AIR hoses? I moved them around as much as i could and nothing changed...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

When you say vacuum hoses, are you talking about the AIR hoses? I moved them around as much as i could and nothing changed...
Not the EGR "AIR" hoses....no.

Here's a picture of the stock PCV system.....these are the vacuum lines. Check all of these for leaks and their fittings.

Vacuum is pulled where that blue hose connects to the front pass side of the intake. It then goes back and attaches to the green hose, which pulls vacuum out of both valve covers.

You could disconnect the hose at the intake, completely cap it off, start the engine and see if the problem is gone. If it is gone, then you know you have a leak somewhere in the blue or green hoses. Disregard that red hose from the TB to the pass side valve cover.

Attached Thumbnails Cleaned Maf, Now car idles high/weird-stockpcvsystem.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 10-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Nevermind, upon further inspection i found a bad connection in the back. Just wiggled it around a little and it came out. I tried putting it back in but there is no slack coming from that valve cover and pops out really easily. This is what i'm talking about...

Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Nevermind, upon further inspection i found a bad connection in the back. Just wiggled it around a little and it came out. I tried putting it back in but there is no slack coming from that valve cover and pops out really easily. This is what i'm talking about...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AH-HA.............vacuum leak..............

Old 10-12-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

How would you suggest fixing it?

Quick Reply: Cleaned Maf, Now car idles high/weird