General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Refresh and Cleaning (Intake, Mods, Deletes) Help Please!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Refresh and Cleaning (Intake, Mods, Deletes) Help Please!

So I put my car up a few weeks ago for the winter. Its a 98 ws6 and finally got to tear into it and need some expert advice please. I am taking the AIR, EGR systems out entirely. Was wondering if anybody has tried resistors to replace each system and fool the computer that way? I hate having the engine bay look like a snake pile with tubes and wires that aren't really needed. Also was thinking about taking the AC out since it only blows cool air and no longer ice cold. Was curious if the front radiator is strictly for the AC and I could take that out as well? Will be doing the PCM Wire mod (if i can find a sticky of it) and all new wire loom!

Next up I took the EGR valve from the top of the intake and looked in. I seen what looked like burnt oil and puddled up gas? I was planing on taking the intake and possibly the heads off (replacing with new ls1 stockers since I have 2 extra sets) and to check everything and replace the gaskets and what not. Should I look into anything while I'm in there? I don't really care to spend more money just looking to refresh the motor a bit. Was looking into an LS6 intake since I have to remove the LS1 anyhow.

Also, has anybody takin' the complete EGR system up with all the little solenoids and whatevers around the intake?

Looking to do some simple mods and deletes since I haven't really ever tore a car apart like I plan to so I would really appreciate some good advice from some fellow car guys!

Thanks for any and all help, I'm going to try and work on it every week, so i'm sure ill need more help.

Pic of the Radiator. Talking about the one in front.

Has anybody takin' the whole system out? not just the EGR valve?

PCM Wiring Mod Soon to Come

Any Other Ideas?

And yes the car is really dirty. Price I pay for a 700 mile ride in the middle of pollen season and then it became my dd for 3 month and I neglected to clean it
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your head gaskets aren't leaking, it's going to be a waste of time to pull stock heads, just to put same-casting stock heads right back on. The PCV system is known to allow oil into the intake. I don't think there's really any way gas could be puddling in the intake unless you've got a massive injector leak, but I doubt the car would be running at that point.

I could be wrong, but I think some of those systems work on a variable voltage range, not a simple resistive load. No AIR, EGR, or cats on my car, and no codes, either...tunes are wonderful things.

EGR delete means the whole thing comes out - tubing from the intake to the EGR solenoid, and tubing from the solenoid to the manifold fitting. Same for the AIR pump - both lines from the manifold fittings to the AIR pump come out, and the AIR pump drops out the front driver's side corner, through the access panel to the turn signal light.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Launching!

You can get ri of the condenser, it's only used for AC.. Get rid of everything! I am in the process of pulling my motor out right now and will no longer have heat or ac.. no use for either of them! Let me know if u find the wire mod sticky or somethin.. I'd like to do that as well!

Vince
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94lt105
You can get ri of the condenser, it's only used for AC.. Get rid of everything!
WTF? ? ? Really

If you are not building a track only car you have absolutely no reason to pull the AC. . . .

People spends lots of money to keep AC working in their cars.

All the emissions stuff is garbage, the car will run the same if not better without that crap.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samson_420
WTF? ? ? Really

If you are not building a track only car you have absolutely no reason to pull the AC. . . .

People spends lots of money to keep AC working in their cars.

All the emissions stuff is garbage, the car will run the same if not better without that crap.
I agree, if it's not a max-effort drag car, leaving the a/c in is nice. A battery relocation will pull weight off the nose, and you won't be sweating your ***** off in the summer, either. R134a recharges are pretty cheap, and just about any dealership or mechanic's shop should be able to take care of it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Element
I agree, if it's not a max-effort drag car, leaving the a/c in is nice. A battery relocation will pull weight off the nose, and you won't be sweating your ***** off in the summer, either. R134a recharges are pretty cheap, and just about any dealership or mechanic's shop should be able to take care of it.
I can recharge the AC, just that last time I was at the mechanic the compressor/clutch was on the way out, I hardly use the AC anyway, 5 or 6 times a summer tops. T tops off and windows down 99% of the time. And now that its not my dd and never will be again I'm not to worried. If I do delete the AC it will just be the compressor/lines not the whole thing, would I need to do anything on top of just removing that?

I can always throw it back in if need be.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
I can recharge the AC, just that last time I was at the mechanic the compressor/clutch was on the way out, I hardly use the AC anyway, 5 or 6 times a summer tops. T tops off and windows down 99% of the time. And now that its not my dd and never will be again I'm not to worried. If I do delete the AC it will just be the compressor/lines not the whole thing, would I need to do anything on top of just removing that?

I can always throw it back in if need be.
Honestly, if you're going to do an a/c delete, you might as well pull the compressor out too...eliminates one belt, and cuts a little weight out. No reason to leave a dying compressor in there, especially with the lines pulled.

I don't think there's anything else that'd need pulled, although there are some a/c delete threads in the newbie tech and external engine forums you could check out.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Launching!

If i do delete the AC i will stilll have the heat correct, or is the HVAC system all together?

Also will the LT1 AC delete pulley (93-97) = 10115875 work for a 98 or do they make an LS1 AC delete pulley? Also what belt would be needed for this? I want to see if its even worth doing?

Thanks

Last edited by GOR1LA; 11-06-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Launching!

I pulled my ac earlier this summer and i've got no regrets. I live in chicago so it doesnt get as hot, and humid, as other places. You hit it on the head, t-tops off and windows down does it for me. And it's a great excuse to speed haha! Sorry officer, it was too hot to go slow Once you get all that emissions junk out of the way it looks MUCH better. Also, I'm not sure if it's the same for LS cars, but I know you can hide the hood latch cable with the same technique as the wire mod of the passenger side. There are a ton of threads on cleaning up the engine bay, very useful. You will notice a big difference from just removing the a/c lines and condenser (small "radiator"). I also had to take out the condenser to make room for my LS lid conversion, so I had a little more motivation. Once you start ripping things out and you see how nice it looks, be careful, It's addicting. I've thought about getting rid of the HVAC completely before, just havent had the ***** to do it yet, but it would look great haha!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
If i do delete the AC i will stilll have the heat correct, or is the HVAC system all together?

Also will the LT1 AC delete pulley (93-97) = 10115875 work for a 98 or do they make an LS1 AC delete pulley? Also what belt would be needed for this? I want to see if its even worth doing?

Thanks
On the LS motors, the A/C has its own belt. Pull the belt, then take the compressor, and all associated brackets/lines/condensor out and your done.

Pulling all the A/C stuff wont affect heat, unless you start modifying the box itself.. there is a write up on here showing how to modify the box to get the most room under the hood while still retaining heat. Heres one way: https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-c-delete.html

With the AIR and EGR deletes, youll need block off plates for the manifolds, unless your running race style headers. The AIR pump and all the lines can be taken out. As far as the EGR goes, ditch the solenoid and lines, and plug the hole, or replace your manifold with an LS6, then have the codes turned off,
Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing, is to convert your PCV system to the newer LS6 style, and get rid of the lines, and just plug the ports.

Search this Thread