General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel smell...when I get out of the car every time now.......

Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Fuel smell...when I get out of the car every time now.......

I smell it every time, mainly right near the drivers side rear wheel area. If I open my fuel door I really don't smell anything so I think the cap is fine. Also, when I take the cap off after a drive, I get the big rush of fumes/pressure, so I know its holding pressure. But kneeling down at the drivers door and at the front of the rear drivers side tire area....its very strong.
It goes away in about 1-2 minutes, untill I drive again and shut down and get out again.

Someone mentioned a valve or sensor somewhere around where the fuel filter is located.

The car was in the air yesterday, we couldn't see any fuel leaks anywhere.
CODES detected today are:
P0134 02 sensor....Bank 1, sensor 1. Insufficient activity detected. This is strange since the engine is running picture perfect throughout the entire RPM range.

P1336 Crank Relearn........this I know about and is no issue.

What do you all think........the bitch is pretty old, so what usually wears out in that area.....????

evap canister?
evap solenoid?
vent line somewhere?

Thanks....

Last edited by LS6427; 10-21-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
bump.
I think I figured out in my case its the fresh air solenoid that is mounted in front of the gas tank. When it fails fresh are is no longer sucked in to the charcoal canister but gas fumes keep going into the canister and it escapes out the canister and I smell it. If fresh air can;t get in the vacuum pulling the fumes out if the canister and into the intake can't happen.

I'm gonna change that solenoid and see if it fixes it.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might just be the solenoid, but if smells that strong right after a run I'm thinking it's liquid fuel you are smelling.

Even though you checked for leaks up on a lift, remember that fuel evaporates very quicky. You might have a leak and there's no evidence. Although it seems obvious, I would double check the fuel filter connections.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Might just be the solenoid, but if smells that strong right after a run I'm thinking it's liquid fuel you are smelling.

Even though you checked for leaks up on a lift, remember that fuel evaporates very quicky. You might have a leak and there's no evidence. Although it seems obvious, I would double check the fuel filter connections.
Definitely not leaking from the fuel filter as that part is so easy to look at with a flashlight while the engine is running and its under pressure.

The other reason I don't think I have any leaks anywhere is that when I take the gas cap off after driving for a bit....the pressure is very high....it blows out hard. I don't think I would hold pressure if I had a leak somewhere.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you haven't cleaned up your engine bay and deleted the evap lines from there have you?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

you haven't cleaned up your engine bay and deleted the evap lines from there have you?
I thought about doing that. Everything is in place as normal. Whats the process to delete it? And if I do it, won't I have the fuel smell because then I will just have a regular vent line somewhere?

Also, if I do the evap delete, does the charcoal canister come out?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the reason I asked was because of the built pressure in your gas tank.

I deleted my system from the bay only to clean it up and capped the line under the car. I have an lt1, so I capped the hardline under the car. Since I capped it, it built so much pressure that it would build up and rush out during fills like you. it became so much that fueling became hard, you'd have to fill up real slow, or it would spill out.

the canister stays in to eat up the fumes. So report a huge smell of gas inside the cabin, when they, instead of capping the line, use a breather. I just recently switched to a breather myself to aleviate the pressure in the system. I don't seem to be suffering from the gas smell inside the car though.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned

Well, the reason I asked was because of the built pressure in your gas tank.

I deleted my system from the bay only to clean it up and capped the line under the car. I have an lt1, so I capped the hardline under the car. Since I capped it, it built so much pressure that it would build up and rush out during fills like you. it became so much that fueling became hard, you'd have to fill up real slow, or it would spill out.

the canister stays in to eat up the fumes. So report a huge smell of gas inside the cabin, when they, instead of capping the line, use a breather. I just recently switched to a breather myself to aleviate the pressure in the system. I don't seem to be suffering from the gas smell inside the car though.
I've never had a smell inside the cabin, just outside. I'm thinking if I cap off my intake port where the evap is.......take that solenoid off and cap off the evap line coming from the canister, then put a vented gas cap on......I'll be fine.........

I have someone that can tune out the evap system so I don't get an SES light...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel smell...when I get out of the car every time now.......