General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

All three brake lights out '98 Camaro

Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All three brake lights out '98 Camaro

Fuse is good. Have searched but found nothing that addresses troubleshooting brake light wiring or the switch activated by the brake pedal. Could someone please steer me to a good thread or two that might help me out, thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the brake pedal switch getting pushed in far enough by the pedal?

Most are adjustable.

Check that first, if that appears normal, I would start looking at possibly a ground problem for that circuit.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

water intrusion is another item to check. this is more common in the front than the rear but it wouldn't hurt to rule it out.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
water intrusion is another item to check. this is more common in the front than the rear but it wouldn't hurt to rule it out.
Yeah but what are the odds all 3 lights have water intrusion? What I really need is a wiring diagram for the brake lighting system. If there is something like that here, it has managed to elude my ninja searching skills so far.

Brake lights aren't sexy and don't provide horsepower, but they are important people! Someone help me fix my brake lights, please.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

dont listen to those knuckle heads. Replace the brake light switch located at the upper portion of the brake pedal. unplug it and turn it out.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

First see if you have power in and out of the switch mounted on the pedal with the pedal depressed. if no power it is more than likely the turn signal switch. If power in and no power out with the pedal depressed than its the switch. if power in and out than check for power at the bulb socket. if not power at the socket then start tracking wires. hope that helped
Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6speedt/a
First see if you have power in and out of the switch mounted on the pedal with the pedal depressed. if no power it is more than likely the turn signal switch. If power in and no power out with the pedal depressed than its the switch. if power in and out than check for power at the bulb socket. if not power at the socket then start tracking wires. hope that helped
Thanks for the help so far guys. I've pretty much ruled out the the turn signal switch as it doesn't affect the 3rd brake light, and mine is out. So it is almost surely the brake pedal switch. Tough to get my 6'2" 275lb frame under that dash area, so I'm going to attempt to track down a new switch and have a local shop install it for me.

Might be a week or so, but I'll keep the curious posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All three brake lights out '98 Camaro