General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water pump woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump woes

Changed my coolant a couple days ago and my thermostat along with it. Drive it the next day and I have squealing noises come from belts or pulley. I get a flashlight and notice I have drops of water/coolant coming from where the water pump gasket is. Right underneath it in fact. So I figure either my gasket or pump is failing me. My question is, is there any particular brand I should be looking for and where should I get the gasket from? I figure with high mileage I should just replace both and hopefully be done with it. Anything else I should do while i'm in there?

P.S. I already checked the thermostat housing and its not leaking.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Changed my coolant a couple days ago and my thermostat along with it. Drive it the next day and I have squealing noises come from belts or pulley. I get a flashlight and notice I have drops of water/coolant coming from where the water pump gasket is. Right underneath it in fact. So I figure either my gasket or pump is failing me. My question is, is there any particular brand I should be looking for and where should I get the gasket from? I figure with high mileage I should just replace both and hopefully be done with it. Anything else I should do while i'm in there?

P.S. I already checked the thermostat housing and its not leaking.
are u sure that its not just the thermostat?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The best pump would be a factory pump, but they're expensive.

Or go here to get one..... www.rockauto.com

Go to the dealership for the metal crush type gaskets.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No its not leaking anywhere near the thermostat housing or the thermostat. Its like coming out of the back of the pump. Kinda hard to explain.

LS6247- thats what I needed to know about the gasket.

some of the water pumps i've looked at come with a new O-ring. I am assuming thats actually for the thermostat housing??
Its gonna take to long to get a good pump from rockauto.com, I gotta get this thing fixed 2mrw before it leaves me stranded. I wonder whats better autozone duralast or o"reillys master pro. Both new.

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 11-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
No its not leaking anywhere near the thermostat housing or the thermostat. Its like coming out of the back of the pump. Kinda hard to explain.

LS6247- thats what I needed to know about the gasket.

some of the water pumps i've looked at come with a new O-ring. I am assuming thats actually for the thermostat housing??
Its gonna take to long to get a good pump from rockauto.com, I gotta get this thing fixed 2mrw before it leaves me stranded. I wonder whats better autozone duralast or o"reillys master pro. Both new.
You never know what you're gonna get when you go remanned.

If I was in a rush I'd also just go to one of those places you listed. The o-ring is for the t-stat.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u have a 1998 so you have the non o ring style water pump, if it was me i would get it from autozone, lifetime warrenty, it goes bad and you go get another one for free and it will be the new updated sexy looking pump with the o ring seal
Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
u have a 1998 so you have the non o ring style water pump, if it was me i would get it from autozone, lifetime warrenty, it goes bad and you go get another one for free and it will be the new updated sexy looking pump with the o ring seal
Yeah the one from O"reillys has a lifetime warranty as well. + O"reillys will price match to autozones price. As far as which one is better its prolly just luck of the draw.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I need to replace my water pump at some point, and spoke with LM Performance about their pump.

http://www.lmperformance.com/53405/1.html

I believe he said there's a lifetime warranty, but don't quote me on that.

I was thinking about getting that one, then again...I'm in no rush.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a coolant flush done on my 98 Z28 a fews ago and just 2 days later...leak, and the waterpump had to be replaced! The car was fine prior to the coolant flush.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I had a coolant flush done on my 98 Z28 a fews ago and just 2 days later...leak, and the waterpump had to be replaced! The car was fine prior to the coolant flush.
Well I thought mine was dripping a few months ago. Next day I looked everywhere to see a leak or signs of a leak and couldn't find anything. Changed coolant out. BAM! the leak became very obvious. Now I have a sqeaky *** pulley, seems to be the one with the T50 torx bit r whatever size it is.

Got the pump on today and all is well. Also received my P&P TB in the mail 2day. Gonna put that on 2mrw. Its beautiful. I am running out of cheaper mods to do though. Prolly cut the EGR out of the way while i'm putting the TB on 2mrw.

thanks for everybodys help.

Quick Reply: Water pump woes