General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls1 need new pistons, or should i rebuild the whole engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ls1 need new pistons, or should i rebuild the whole engine?

can anyone help me out?
i have a 99 ls1 fomula trans am i just got a tranny shift kit and tune, days later my oil level keep goin down every 2 days or so. i went back to the my tuner and he says my pistons ring is out and needs to be replaced. he gave me some choices. they are as follow.

rebuild engine replace all rings, seals, and put in forged pistons, cam, long tube headers, rocker arms, n lifters, thats about 4K...

swap my engine for another one.

or just replace the rings and pistons.

since i am going to work on building up the engine what would be my best option?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Definetly look into replacing it with a new shortblock from one of the sponsors like Texas Speed.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you're going the cheap route, find a junkyard 6.0 truck motor or GTO motor (~$1000) and throw a cam/springs in it (~$600) and make 450rwhp reliably all day.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_TRANS_AM_LS1
can anyone help me out?
i have a 99 ls1 fomula trans am i just got a tranny shift kit and tune, days later my oil level keep goin down every 2 days or so. i went back to the my tuner and he says my pistons ring is out and needs to be replaced. he gave me some choices. they are as follow.

rebuild engine replace all rings, seals, and put in forged pistons, cam, long tube headers, rocker arms, n lifters, thats about 4K...

swap my engine for another one.

or just replace the rings and pistons.

since i am going to work on building up the engine what would be my best option?
$4,000......thats ridiculous. If you're staying stock LT headers are a waste. So are rockers, lifters and a bigger cam.
You can buy a fully forged short block for $4,000 that will handle 1,200 HP. I think some offer choice of cam, if not it'll cost about $300 more.

A very good shop should charge you $1,000-$1,200 to diassemble your engine, check everything, new bearings, rings and gaskets, hone the cylinders, and reassemble.

If you want new forged pistons they cost about $500-$1,000....depending on the quality you need.

If you're going to build up the engine in the future and not beat on this one with nitrous or forced induction......just re-use the stock pistons. Because when you do build up the engine.....you're probably going to go with a larger bore anyway, which means whatever forged pistons you buy now won't fit.

Now....if you do have $4,000 to spend right now......just buy a new, fully built, fully forged short block. Many shops to go to for that........

If you don't have the money right now for real nice heads, intake and TB....you can just re-use all your stock top end stuff if you have to on that new short block for now. Then when you get some more money to start the build-up you have that solid foundation to build on ready to take whatever you want to throw at it.
However.......nice heads are around $2,500 and up, and an intake and TB are about $800-$1,500, depending on what you want.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
$4,000......thats ridiculous.
Must be a California thing. To me, 4K is actually cheap. Back in '96 I paid 4K to have my Dodge 440 rebuilt. I'd assume that to work a newer motor like an LS1 today would be at least 5 or 6K.

OP, if you can swing it I'd buy a built short block-you'll be out the same amount of cash but at least you'll have the better motor.

Also, what alot of other people don't understand is that in GAYlifornia you wouldn't be able to do a motor swap, like my dream WS6/LS2 car, without making the car illegal to drive on public streets. Well, unless you "know" people....
Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could check out some of our shortblocks.

Quick Reply: Ls1 need new pistons, or should i rebuild the whole engine?