General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

another powersteering thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another powersteering thread

00 ls1 camaro m6. having some issues. i have checked, checked and checked some more. no leaks from under the car. now the reservoir appears to be leaking from the cap. when i look inside while its running. its bubbling pretty bad. i have been just filling it up waiting to see a leak from some where else but no luck. it will last for awhile when i keep the revs low. but im adding every couple weeks. is the pump bad or do i have a air leak somewhere?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Teching In

I have a 99 z28 and have recently had the mysterious P/S fluid level change also. I used 2 Qt probably over 2 months. Totally out of the blue.

In the mean time I had a water-pump start to go so it had my complete attention not the P/S fluid. While I lined up the water-pump and took time off to replace it about 2 weeks I noticed, gee I havent used any P/S fluid.

Now I know one didn't have an effect on the other, it's just that I was using at least a pint a week at times of fluid and now hardly any. The ONLY thing I did that was unusual is I changed to Walmart standard P/S fluid not any stop leak of any of that crap (blue bottle 2.39 a qt), it was just cheaper and if I was just going to be pissing it away why not. I never use walmart products of any kind before.

So call me crazy, but that's what happened. No doubt this will com back sometime but for now, hey, there is nothing cheap about owning a Z and using factory stuff.

Misery loves company so I will watch to see what happened here. Good luck.

Bob
Orlando, FL

PS
Here in Orlando Florida, Walmart has the best price on real Prestone GM Dex Antifreeze (grey gallon) NOT 50/50, the real deal, $12.00 per gal. Just an FYI.

Last edited by TeeRod; 11-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1fan00
00 ls1 camaro m6. having some issues. i have checked, checked and checked some more. no leaks from under the car. now the reservoir appears to be leaking from the cap. when i look inside while its running. its bubbling pretty bad. i have been just filling it up waiting to see a leak from some where else but no luck. it will last for awhile when i keep the revs low. but im adding every couple weeks. is the pump bad or do i have a air leak somewhere?
This sounds like it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...p-leaking.html
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by TeeRod
I have a 99 z28 and have recently had the mysterious P/S fluid level change also. I used 2 Qt probably over 2 months. Totally out of the blue.

In the mean time I had a water-pump start to go so it had my complete attention not the P/S fluid. While I lined up the water-pump and took time off to replace it about 2 weeks I noticed, gee I havent used any P/S fluid.

Now I know one didn't have an effect on the other, it's just that I was using at least a pint a week at times of fluid and now hardly any. The ONLY thing I did that was unusual is I changed to Walmart standard P/S fluid not any stop leak of any of that crap (blue bottle 2.39 a qt), it was just cheaper and if I was just going to be pissing it away why not. I never use walmart products of any kind before.

So call me crazy, but that's what happened. No doubt this will com back sometime but for now, hey, there is nothing cheap about owning a Z and using factory stuff.

Misery loves company so I will watch to see what happened here. Good luck.

Bob
Orlando, FL

PS
Here in Orlando Florida, Walmart has the best price on real Prestone GM Dex Antifreeze (grey gallon) NOT 50/50, the real deal, $12.00 per gal. Just an FYI.
You'll need that deal on antifreeze, because yours is likely contaminated by all the power steering fluid that's been leaking in through your faulty PS cooler. Its ugly...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Teching In

thanks that thread had alot of info.

problem found. rack and pinion boot filled with fluid. seal broke.

Last edited by ls1fan00; 11-07-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ls1fan00
thanks that thread had alot of info.

problem found. rack and pinion boot filled with fluid. seal broke.
ugh. Do you have a picture? Was it leaking at all or was the boot acting like a sack for the fluid?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

DEF change all the fluid out.. Youll regret it if you dont!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

I know from experience, it ate my seals out of my pump... bad news