General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tapping sound w/ Random ses light

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping sound w/ Random ses light

So about a month ago my car set an SES light for a bad knock sensor light went off the next day. Now for the past 2 days in the early morning 6 am it throws a SES light but by the time I get a chance to take it by auto zone around lunch to see what the lights for it goes off. Now the car is also been making a tapping noise I was hoping just noisey valve train but its more dominant when you get down beside the car and listen from underneath. Excuses my ignorance but the car is my daily driver and I dont want to risk hurting the motor. Sorry about the post im on my phone and in class. Thanks for all that help
Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything mod-ed on the car? Might be valvetrain, but keep in mind it could be the bottomend. Best thing to do is check it out, if you can't do it. Get a reputable shop to look into it for you. Going to cost a little money, but better safe than sorry.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tapping is causing the SES light. Your car thinks its knocking. Fix the tap and that will fix the SES light. As for where the tapping is coming from. Use a stethascope, they are $4.00 at AutoZone. Our motors are aluminum and the sound resinates everywhere, and will fool your ears. Good luck. Let us know what you find..