General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows

does anyone have this problem. ever since i bought my ss i have noticed that the windows move very slow why is this....
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Launching!

It could be the window motor slowly going out.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue but only in my passenger side. It almost looks like something is holding it back.

I'm going to take off the door card when I get a chance and see how it moves.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by geo1400
I have the same issue but only in my passenger side. It almost looks like something is holding it back.

I'm going to take off the door card when I get a chance and see how it moves.
The inside is something like this:
Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sliderSS
does anyone have this problem. ever since i bought my ss i have noticed that the windows move very slow why is this....
same here. both move pretty slow. they have always been that way so i dont know how fast is 'normal' but they appear to be on the slow side.

also, every once in a while, when my drivers side goes all the way down, it wont come back up for a few seconds. then it will move up a few inches then stop. i release the button and wait, then try again. a few more inches then stops. repeat 3 or 4 times an it gets past half way then goes all the way to the top. wierd. anyone else?

and yes....silder your thread as been lol naw just expanding on window issues some
Old 11-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frogger
wierd. anyone else?

and yes....silder your thread as been lol naw just expanding on window issues some
I have the same problem, it seems the driver side window motor is starting to give out. Sometimes when it starts slowing down I place my hand on the section of the door panel where the motor is close to and I can feel a slight stutter and it overheating before stopping.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Search the forum for window motor and you'll have several weeks of good reading that you should definitely get in to. If you are going to make changes, post back and you can get some validation on the approach you are going to take.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you can try spraying it with something but expect your window motors to go at some point.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

It's a easy fix for the motor replacement. I think theres a kit to help with slow passenger side something like 9 volts get to that window and only 11 volts to driver side that's why there motors dieing is so common just a bad wiring design from gm...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

well that blows the other thing i have been noticing is that my driver window only gets about 1/4 in. before it closes and it stops, i have to open the door so it will close.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

The window motors in F body's are notorious for becoming weak and quit working. There is a resistor that is designed to heat up and limit motor power if the window meets resistance and works hard. Problem is that over time the resistor becomes a detriment to window performance. That's why the motor slows to a craw, or stops, and then works better after a cool down period.

There is an excellent write up at the link below on motor replacement. I followed these instructions and easily replaced the window motor on my car. It's actually a good time of year to do it since cool temperatures make it easier to remove the moisture barrier inside the door and re-install it without damage.

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I ordered a new window motor from RockAuto.com They have some of the best prices you will find.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common F-body problem, I wish i could just convert my power windows on my car to regular Manual, roll up, down with the handle windows. My drivers side has been out since i bought the car a year and a half ago, I already got used to rolling it up and down with my hands. The passenger, is on the edge of its death bed, will be out soon, its really slow but now that its colder, its 2X slower!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by sliderSS
well that blows the other thing i have been noticing is that my driver window only gets about 1/4 in. before it closes and it stops, i have to open the door so it will close.
This could be a different issue - and a much more sinister one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html (Everyone else in this thread just has a bad motor.)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Common F-body problem, I wish i could just convert my power windows on my car to regular Manual, roll up, down with the handle windows. My drivers side has been out since i bought the car a year and a half ago, I already got used to rolling it up and down with my hands. The passenger, is on the edge of its death bed, will be out soon, its really slow but now that its colder, its 2X slower!
Or... you can put in the Dorman motor. Or... you can go aftermarket power: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-assembly.html
Old 11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced my driver's side window motor about 3 years ago with one that I bought at advance auto parts with a lifetime garantee for $39. It is a race horse compared to the OEM window motor. It took about 45 minutes to do it the first time. Now that I know how to do it I could probably do it in 30 minutes. Still running the original window motor on the pass side. It will eventually konk out but its still running strong at the present. Not bad after ten years and 223,000+ miles...