General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ws6 hood latch vs firehawk hood latch ls1 generation

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default ws6 hood latch vs firehawk hood latch ls1 generation

So im looking at my hood latch and i see it gets stuck on the nose of my formula . This formula didn't come with ws6 but now has a factory hood . And latch hits.mine is a white 99 and my brother has a red 00 hawk with a different latch . Now is the latch a firehawk thing or do i need a different latch .

photo proof.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Also can anyone tell if his , my brothers 00 hawk has an ls6 intake . No egr hole in the intake .

Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe adjust the nose on the car? You should be able to slide the body work out a little bit without making any crazy gaps. Not like our cars are devoid of body panel gap to begin with...
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Well that didn't help me . Is the one on the white bird a ws6 latch or flat Firebird hood latch and the one on red is that a Firehawk only latch ?

Anyone have any ideas on the intake , his hawk has long tube headers , catted y pipe , slp catback , lid with k&n , slp smooth bellows , slp maf , 3.73s gears and that's it and it made 373 at the wheels . So is it an ls6 intake ??
Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Firehawk hood has it's own little latch. The rest of the cars had the same latch that you have as far as I know. The reason is that the nostrils on the Firehawk hood do not allow the stock style latch. I have a Firehawk hood that I put on my Formula so I had to change latches.

WarShrike's suggestion is valid, if the latch is hitting it is due to an alignment issue not because of the latch design. The hood may be too far forward. I don't think it would be worthwhile trying to find a Firehawk latch to put on your hood as I am not sure it will work with it. In addition I always felt it was sort of flimsy and I prefer the stock style.

If it doesn't have EGR it is likely an LS6 intake. Don't get overly concerned with dyno numbers, they are not as consistent or precise as everyone wants to pretend. That number is higher than a lot of LS2's... actually it is almost near LS3 Vettes. I guess he could have a cam, but it is more likely the dyno correction was odd or some other factor caused it to dyno that high.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 11-19-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: ws6 hood latch vs firehawk hood latch ls1 generation