General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HVAC Question Trans AM Need some heat!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HVAC Question Trans AM Need some heat!

OK buddys daughter has a 2002 Trans Am WS6. This is the issue as she explained it to me.

"Well my dad and I tried fixing my heater and he knows what wrong with it just not sure where the part is so he can see whats going on and fix it...any suggestions on why the AC is not switching to heat. the blower and everything work, its getting hot..just not switching over and blowing hot." Dad felt the pipes and the pipes getting hot. Dad said theres a flapper thing that switches over allowing either hot or cold air to blow out the vents and he doesnt know where its located.

Ok guys so any ideas? thanks! Diagrams etc...thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe the heater core?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your talking about switching between floor to vent to windshield and its not working then your flappers arnt switching in which case dash comes apart..... if you arnt getting heat and parts are hot you may have a buble in coolant system or bad heater core
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing that controls temperature is the mixture door. It's opened and closed by the temperature ****. So if the blower motor is indeed blowing air, then either the heater core is clogged, or the mixture door is stuck.

If it's not blowing air at all through the vents, then it's probably a vacuum issue. Need some more info.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See what more I can find out... Sounds like he believes its the "mixture door" not opening allowing the heated air to pass into the car he wants to start there but not sure where its located
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pewter_LS1
See what more I can find out... Sounds like he believes its the "mixture door" not opening allowing the heated air to pass into the car he wants to start there but not sure where its located
It's right next to the heater core, to the left of it (looking at it from the passenger seat). He won't be able to even see it without moving the core. However, he might be able so see or feel it through the slats next to the heater core, which directs the hot air into the box. It's hard to describe.

The mixture door is moved by cable, from the mixture **** to the door. I doubt it's the problem. My guess is a clogged heater core.

Have him check out both of these links:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#heaterflush
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#HVAC_vacuum

Quick Reply: HVAC Question Trans AM Need some heat!