General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

using a quart of oil at about 1500 miles..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using a quart of oil at about 1500 miles..?

Hi there, so i have a 01 ws6 with 77.5k on it. Owned the car between 50 and 73500 then sold it for my tbss. (nd winters) Now i recently bought it back with an additional 1500 miles on it. So of course when i bought it back changed the oil with m1 5w30, now i checked it before i parked it for the winter and to my surprise a whole quart of oil is not where it should be. Never had this problem before? Is it because i swapped it to m1 5w30 to me that doesnt make any sense.... any help, thoughts, or ideas would be great. oh yeah and the obvious no leaks, no smoking. Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

How many quarts did you use?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Default 5

I put the amount the manual calls for 5 us quarts.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxws6
Hi there, so i have a 01 ws6 with 77.5k on it. Owned the car between 50 and 73500 then sold it for my tbss. (nd winters) Now i recently bought it back with an additional 1500 miles on it. So of course when i bought it back changed the oil with m1 5w30, now i checked it before i parked it for the winter and to my surprise a whole quart of oil is not where it should be. Never had this problem before? Is it because i swapped it to m1 5w30 to me that doesnt make any sense.... any help, thoughts, or ideas would be great. oh yeah and the obvious no leaks, no smoking. Thanks a lot everyone.
M1 is complete bullshit oil man. Too thin.

Go do an oil change and put in NON-synthetic Castrol GTX 20w50.......you should be good with that and burn way less. As for protection...better than the M1 or at the very least the same. And you will save a bunch of coin.....

*****This is considering that your engine is mechanically fine and your PCV system is ok.*****

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

I would be very concerned to have 1/4 quart unaccounted for in 1500 miles.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

some cars (including mine) love eating up m1 it seems..just a little too thin for these motors. I would change it to something else. pay close attention to the level you put in, I like to scribe this way you have a really good handle on how much you use. hopefully your not using as much as you think you are!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

xxxws6,

Next oil change, do what I did....so you don't drive yourself nuts thinking you're burning more than you are. Know exactly what you're burning.

As you put in the new oil, put in 3 quarts real fast......but then pour in the rest at 1/2 qrt intervels. Each time wait about 15 minutes, then pull the dipstick out and with a file make a little hash mark. Do as many as you want or do them in 1 qrt intervels.......however accurate you want to be.

Then later on when you check your oil when the engine is cold and has been sitting all night......you will know exactly what you are burning in 1,500 miles.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah i have not a clue why all of a sudden, only thing that has changed was engine oil to m1. You mentioned pcv system... Now i believe my car is past the half way mark of the 01's cause mine does have the fatty five spokes which in my research found that they came late in the 01 year and also read that then they came with a different intake. If all that is true is there different things i need to look at to determine what is happening with my oil issue. 20w50 a little on the heavy side? Dont know just asking. Believe manual says not to run it. I dont drive my car in the winter months which for this problem kind of sucks since i wont be able to put any miles on it and will never know if it uses any oil. LAME ND. Thanks everyone. keep em coming.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Yeah i have not a clue why all of a sudden, only thing that has changed was engine oil to m1. You mentioned pcv system... Now i believe my car is past the half way mark of the 01's cause mine does have the fatty five spokes which in my research found that they came late in the 01 year and also read that then they came with a different intake. If all that is true is there different things i need to look at to determine what is happening with my oil issue. 20w50 a little on the heavy side? Dont know just asking. Believe manual says not to run it. I dont drive my car in the winter months which for this problem kind of sucks since i wont be able to put any miles on it and will never know if it uses any oil. LAME ND. Thanks everyone. keep em coming.
All of a sudden because M1 is terriblly thin....especially for an old worn engine. You cant use that stuff man.

20w50 is great for these engines...regardless what the manual says or what anyone says. My 427ci has 150,000 miles on it, and thats the only weight oil its ever had. BUT....its pretty thick for cold places maybe, but I don't see why it would make much of a difference. Hell, it would just stay thicker which is what you want in an old worn engine. If it sits for a long time it will also cause oil to stay on the bearings and parts if its thick....

PCV valve might be stuck open........put a new one in, they're like $3.00. I personally put a variable valve on mine PCV line. I can set it to be as strong as I want or as weak...or turn it off completely, no vacuum sucking crankcase gasses and oil into the intake at all. I have it on a very very low setting right now, it barely pulls crankcase gasses, but just enough to pull out the bad gasses.....but zero oil.

See the "T" valve with screw in it....I can set it to any suction strength I want. The factory suction is WAY WAY too much for any engine. I've got a totally modded PCV system and lines....but anyone can put one of these right before their PCV valve and adjust it from there. I think you should at least turn the suction down to half what it is.

((whatever you do....stop using synthetic oil))

Attached Thumbnails using a quart of oil at about 1500 miles..?-dsc01992.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a recent thread on oil, specifically viscosity.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-u-using.html
I put the amount the manual calls for 5 us quarts.
They take 5.5 quarts or 6 if you put an oversized filter on them...

The PCV system is the root of most oil consumption problems with the LS1.