General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Looking at a 97 Formula tomorrow-what does this symptom sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 97 Formula tomorrow-what does this symptom sound like?

Car is a 97 Auto formula. Mods are a small 'hot cam' , 3000 stall, shift kit, cold air intake, hooker long tube headers, 3 inch flowmaster cutout ?

Problem 1: O2 sensors were removed. He says it causes the service light to come on until the car warms up? Does that sound like having no 02 sensors would cause that or could it be something else?

Problem 2: He says he, "was driving it and gassed it a bit and the car died. It cranks and will backfire out of the exhaust. It sometimes starts and dies instantly."

Now is that a fuel pump , opti,clogged exhaust, or what?

Any help would be appreciated. First time looking to buy a car that won't be able to be driven : /
Old 11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i hope you are getting this thing free.......if you are asking for help like this you best stay away from this thing. Sounds like it has major troubles.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I hope you are getting this thing for dirt cheap. How do you know the motor is any good without hearing it run Trans? I know, it's a gamble you take but don't be fooled by someones sales pitch. Some people are really good and can talk your ear off about how good the car is to where you don't think rationally. You need to think worse case scenario and hope for the best.

As far as the car, it could be anything. Having the rear o2's tuned out is not a big deal if that is what the guy is talking about. If he took the fronts out, that would be a good reason why it wouldn't run right.

Very well could be the opti and sounds like it with the backfiring you are talking about.

You can check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is bad but it doesn't sound like a fuel pump to me.

How much is he asking for the car? Is the body clean?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Well the guy did have it for sale before it died on him for alot more. Started at 4500 or so I believe. The seller needs money to pay bills /school asap but who doesn't? lol

He is asking 2k. Car has 92k on it. Says the body/ paint is in great shape, in the pics it looks pretty good but I will have to see it in person of course.

I'll have to find out if the rear o2's were tuned out or if he removed the front O2's.

I want to lean towards the opti since the same thing happened to me while driving a 93 Vette.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O2Form
Well i hope you are getting this thing free.......if you are asking for help like this you best stay away from this thing. Sounds like it has major troubles.
ls1 formulas are going so cheap its a waste of money to bother with LT1 cars... especially if its already ******* up. if the LT1 guys are butthurt for me pissing in their wheaties ohwell. im trying to save you lots of headaches.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rumblebox
ls1 formulas are going so cheap its a waste of money to bother with LT1 cars... especially if its already ******* up. if the LT1 guys are butthurt for me pissing in their wheaties ohwell. im trying to save you lots of headaches.
Rumblebox is right. I would stay away from that for 2K. You know the opti alone is like $300 right? Plus you should do the water pump too because it sits on top of the opti and often times ruins the opti when they start leaking (great GM design )

The whole distributor/opti ignition has been done away with and for good reason. You can't beat the ignition system of the new style LS motors with individual coils. Sure you might be able to get this cheaper up front but you'll sink more money into it in the long run.

Also, he very well could have valvetrain issues with that cam. He might have broken something internally if it wasn't set up right, etc. Something to think about. How long ago was the cam installed?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Just got back from looking at the car. I didn't hear the fuel pump priming at all when I put the key on the 'on' position.

He basicaly lied alot about the condition of the car ( alot of the carpet was missing, dash had a chunk out of it, driver headlight gear was messed up even though he said they were fine, paint was good but it had alot of heavy scratches, coolant was brown and rust colored, the headers were rusting through, one tire had the wires showing, heavy rubber in the wheel well, Ac vents were missing lol, heavy rust underneth, All of the Ac was missing when he said it was there,and so on...)

Told him no thanks.

Sad to see a lower mile car run to ****.

I want to find an ls1 Trans am but around St. louis they seem way to overpriced
Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would be worth the trip to texas or somewhere there's no snow/salt on the roads, and drive one back from there.