General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I Need Some Help..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Need Some Help..

Alright so this is becoming really annoying lol. I keep blowing my driver's side headlight. I have replaced the same headlight three times over the last 4 months. I am getting tired of getting pulled over and then having to go out and buy a new headlight all the time. I can't think of anything. I was thinking maybe a voltage spike or something was popping the bulb, but I had my electrical system checked and there were no abnormalities. My headlight is currently out again so I was going to see if you guys had any solutions before I go out and lay down more money on another replacement for the fourth time in less than six months ha ha.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

bump.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the factory style sealed beams, or a conversion kit? Maybe a short somewhere?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is been happening to a few of us with Sylvania headlights. I think there was a bad run at their factory.

Keep the box - they have a warranty, but you need the box and your receipt.

Did you go to the same store to get all the bulbs? If so, you might want to go to another store in hopes they have another batch on the shelves.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

They are still the stock sealed beams. I also keep getting sylvanias I didn't know they had a bad batch. I'm going to keep the box and receipt from the one I just bought. I actually went to a different store this time so maybe it will work out lol.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same trouble using Sylvania Xtra vision H4703xv. I called Sylvannia customer service and they sent out another set but those blew too after 3 months. The old factory ones I have work fine and don't blow so i'm sure its the new lamps.

You could have a diiferent prob;em if you are burning out the stock lamps, If the wiring is corroded or the alternator voltage regulator is bad it could spike or make the lights flicker. Flickering lights will burn out quick because it damages the filiment. Try unpluging the connections at the headlight motor and check visually for and kind of damage.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by O2Form
I had the same trouble using Sylvania Xtra vision H4703xv. I called Sylvannia customer service and they sent out another set but those blew too after 3 months. The old factory ones I have work fine and don't blow so i'm sure its the new lamps.

You could have a diiferent prob;em if you are burning out the stock lamps, If the wiring is corroded or the alternator voltage regulator is bad it could spike or make the lights flicker. Flickering lights will burn out quick because it damages the filiment. Try unpluging the connections at the headlight motor and check visually for and kind of damage.
Those are the exact bulbs I keep buying. I checked the connectors and they were fine. I don't really notice any flicker except sometimes when I tap my brakes my dash lights dim ever so slightly same thing when I shove the clutch in too. Like I said earlier I had my electrical system checked and everything turned out ok. My battery is pretty old but I don't think that should matter though. Who knows what is going on lol.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Those XV only last a few months....so either put up with it or buy the standard h4703.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

After having this issue a couple of times, I threw in the towel and went for a total (and wonderful) upgrade: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ht-option.html
Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
After having this issue a couple of times, I threw in the towel and went for a total (and wonderful) upgrade: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ht-option.html
How do you like those? I have looked at those before and they seem priced right. A buddy of mine also retrofits housings for HID set ups and he said his projectors he uses would most likely fit inside of those. They look like a good option to me.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
How do you like those? I have looked at those before and they seem priced right. A buddy of mine also retrofits housings for HID set ups and he said his projectors he uses would most likely fit inside of those. They look like a good option to me.
Love 'em. They went right in with no fuss. I can also change the bulbs now without needing to take the housing apart. Just open the hood and its all right there. I can't think of a better option.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

I tried the replacement lamps with the replaceable bulbs too but i think the h4703 XV lamps look much better. These xv's are bight lights, just don't last very long.

Quick Reply: I Need Some Help..