General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Excessive Cranking Required - Video Included

Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Cranking Required - Video Included

After my car has been sitting for a few hours, it's takes several cranks of the engine to getting it started. I've ran seafoam through the motor a couple times but no change. I also tried swapping the ignition and starter relays but no change was seen either. I have a cam (TR230/224) which is why you'll see the surging in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3lQwFMUkXY
Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time it sits for a while, before you crank it to start, try just turning the key on 5-10 times or so (not cranking, just key on key off to cycle the fuel pump). Then after doing that a few times try to crank it and see if it fires up right away. It sounds like the little check valve in the fuel pump has gone bad and the pump isn't holding a prime anymore.

FWIW, my old S10 would crank long but it was like that for the 2 years I had it until I sold it and it was fine once it started. Annoying though.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

Looks like you battery voltage is low.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

My stock LT1 does the same thing, pretty sure it's the check valve responsible for holding a prime in my case. Cycling the key (no crank over) 2 or 3 times is enough for mine to fire after 2 or 3 seconds of cranking. Runs fine afterwards.

It is annoying, but doesn't quite warrant dropping the tank or cutting an access hole, yet. Not on my 160K mile stock car anyway.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by O2Form
Looks like you battery voltage is low.
I saw that too, my gauge reads above 13 all the time, mostly around 14, but never below 13.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sure the voltage isn't the problem. It sounds like the fuel pump is a likely culprit. Is there another piece of evidence I can get that points to the fuel pump? I'd hate to spent the time and money to replace the fuel pump, and it not be the issue.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

I've read in the past when researching this issue that the fuel pressure regulator and leaking fuel injectors can also cause a loss of fuel pressure when the car sits for a while. So I would explore those two possibilities first.

Search this Thread