General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tunin' er up

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tunin' er up

Hey guys I had a couple questions. Right now my t/a is being stored in the garage for the winter. She is right at 53k. I am preparing for Spring (yes its early but it helps me get through winter) and the tune up and maintenance that will happen as soon as she is out of the garage. My plans include: Rear diff fluid change, clutch fluid change, tranny fluid change, and power steering flush as well as another oil change. Is there anything else that would be recommended for this mileage? Fuel filter? Plugs? Wires?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't changed the plugs I would and the fuel filter is easy to do. Also check your brake fluid and coolant and see if they need to be changed
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Plugs for sure. I do them every 25,000...way too cheap and easy to do. 100K mile plugs, thats just ridiculous, don't go anywhere near that far. Its like my stepfather with his Dodge Hemi pick-up.....he had 80,000 miles and refused to change his plugs because he fell for that 100K mile bullshit. He finally caved in around 85,000 miles and had it done.....HUGE difference and all 8 plugs looked like ***. His acceleration from a stop was a huge difference.

Do the fuel filter every 10,000 miles....$12.00 and 10 minutes of your time. But before you do it run a full can of Sea Foam through 1/4 tank of gas first, then do the change. I've been doing it every 3-4 months for 12+ years and my fuel system has never had an issue. 9 year old injectors too.

Do the rest of the stuff you mentioned too. There's an easy way to change the power steering fluid if you need it......but if that stuff is clean, I would leave it alone. You don't have the cheesy factory PS fluid cooler so you should be fine.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Plugs for sure. I do them every 25,000...way too cheap and easy to do. 100K mile plugs, thats just ridiculous, don't go anywhere near that far. Its like my stepfather with his Dodge Hemi pick-up.....he had 80,000 miles and refused to change his plugs because he fell for that 100K mile bullshit. He finally caved in around 85,000 miles and had it done.....HUGE difference and all 8 plugs looked like ***. His acceleration from a stop was a huge difference.

Do the fuel filter every 10,000 miles....$12.00 and 10 minutes of your time. But before you do it run a full can of Sea Foam through 1/4 tank of gas first, then do the change. I've been doing it every 3-4 months for 12+ years and my fuel system has never had an issue. 9 year old injectors too.

Do the rest of the stuff you mentioned too. There's an easy way to change the power steering fluid if you need it......but if that stuff is clean, I would leave it alone. You don't have the cheesy factory PS fluid cooler so you should be fine.

I agree with everything you said. All good stuff to do. But don't the Hemi's have twin plugs for each cylinder? I know the newer ones do, as I do quite a few of those tune-ups at work. Just curious.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BRUTL
I agree with everything you said. All good stuff to do. But don't the Hemi's have twin plugs for each cylinder? I know the newer ones do, as I do quite a few of those tune-ups at work. Just curious.
Yes, they do. And my friend who did the plug change for my stepfather, who is a Chrysler/Jeep technician, said it was HELL to get to a few of them.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Yeah, they aren't fun, when you get one side done, you feel like the job should be finished....but it's not...still 8 more to go....no fun at all.

Anyways.... If you're going to be pulling the plugs and whatnot, I would also recommend some GM Top Engine Cleaner. It's a can of fluid that you put into the cylinders while you have the spark plugs out and it sits on top of the pistons and breaks up any carbon buildup on top. We did this to one bank of cylinders and before we did the other side, we used a Snap On boroscope to record the differences. Talk about a piston that looks almost brand new afterward. That stuff is awesome. Just pull your plugs, pour some into all 8 cyls (A funnel with a hose on the end works best), and go have lunch or something. About an hour later, pop your new plugs in, change the oil (some of it may leak past the rings, don't want that stuff in your oil), and start her up, make sure your garage door is open, because you're going to kill every mosquito within a 10 mile radius with all the smoke. What I like to do is buy two cans, one for the tops of the pistons, and one to suck up through a vacuum line while it's running. This will get the tops of the intake valves and also the intake runners. Most people only do the Vacuum line procedure, but throwing it on top of the pistons and letting it sit is a trick I picked up while working at the Chevy Dealership.

Last edited by BRUTL; 12-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BRUTL
Yeah, they aren't fun, when you get one side done, you feel like the job should be finished....but it's not...still 8 more to go....no fun at all.

Anyways.... If you're going to be pulling the plugs and whatnot, I would also recommend some GM Top Engine Cleaner. It's a can of fluid that you put into the cylinders while you have the spark plugs out and it sits on top of the pistons and breaks up any carbon buildup on top. We did this to one bank of cylinders and before we did the other side, we used a Snap On boroscope to record the differences. Talk about a piston that looks almost brand new afterward. That stuff is awesome. Just pull your plugs, pour some into all 8 cyls (A funnel with a hose on the end works best), and go have lunch or something. About an hour later, pop your new plugs in, change the oil (some of it may leak past the rings, don't want that stuff in your oil), and start her up, make sure your garage door is open, because you're going to kill every mosquito within a 10 mile radius with all the smoke. What I like to do is buy two cans, one for the tops of the pistons, and one to suck up through a vacuum line while it's running. This will get the tops of the intake valves and also the intake runners. Most people only do the Vacuum line procedure, but throwing it on top of the pistons and letting it sit is a trick I picked up while working at the Chevy Dealership.
A popular product used by many members here is the MCCC (Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner). Works like magic and gives that crazy smoke show too. Hot engine, suck it in through the vacuum line on the passengers side bottom of the intake while its idling, shut it off just as the can starts to run dry, let sit for a couple hours, 4 hours if you can. Its a foam that expands to touch all parts of the top end.......good ****.

I'd like to try that piston clean with the GM stuff since I( have to change my plugs next week. Is it a liquid or a foam.....???

I think before I started it up though, I'd turn it over for 5-10 seconds with the plugs out to splash most of the liquid out of each cylinder through the plug holes......don't want to hydralock the engine....ouch......

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Yeah, that's a good idea turnin her over first. It's a liquid, but there's also a foam GM sells, just having trouble finding it lately. The foam works better on top of the pistons and even has a long tube built into the bottle. I'm sure that Mopar stuff is just as good as the GM stuff, hell it might even be the same product that is sold to each company. A lot of stuff gets done like that.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys. guess i better get all this **** purchased. im lazy and havent found the how tos. someone have them bookmarked and can help me? thanks