General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pcv system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pcv system

i recently noticed that the boot around the pcv valve is rotted completely along with the y on the back of the motor. i have everything to create a new system except i cant locate another boot for the pcv. Is there a part number from gm or one i can get at the autostore?
Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the boot that holds the pcv valve?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Theres a writeup on here but i cant seem to find it i did it on mine and basically used fuel hose from the auto parts store couple to a hose barb that went to a piece of 3/4" hose i stuck the pcv valve in the other end and then attached it to the intake with another small piece of hose been working great for a yr.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

LS6 valley cover FTW !!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by O2Form
That LS6 valley cover is worse IMO.
one of the best mods i have done so far
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That LS6 valley cover is worse IMO.
why do you say it's worse? just curious as i've been thinking about putting one on mine.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been running a LS6 Valley cover and a breather in the oil fill hole on the valve covers now for 6 years and aprox 170,000 miles with no problem...no sluge or crap in the engine and no oil in the intake...when ever I pull the valve covers it looks like new inside ... car now has 224,500 + miles on it...it is a daily driver racking up about 25K-30K miles a year .. I fail to see what you are talking about.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't live in as cold climate, i'm sure it works fine for some but noway where it gets into the 20's for 3 months out of the year.

The LS6 pcv system is a patch gm came up with to keep its vette owners happy.
This car has spent a bunch of time up in yankee land in cold weather...if you have a bunch of crud in your valve covers you must be doing alot of real short trips..if you drive enough to get the engine up to its correct operating temperature and drive it more that a short distance you will not have a bunch of condensation in your engine that is a constant no matter what type of PCV or breather system the engine uses...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

its cold here.......no mustard in my cap..........and my oil looks fine........will be pulling the valve covers soon.......LS6 VC FTW !!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah yeah it spends alot of time in the cold...i just seen it yesterday drivin around..............
I doubt that ... My folks live in the upper Midwest I am there alot you have no clue where I travel ... it seems that you like to post alot of BS about a subject that you have very limited knowledge of.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about it, why do engines use a PCV system.

Now tell me where the coldest part of the engine is?
the primary reason is pressure will build up in the crankcase, and that pressure has to go somewhere otherwise you'll blow out the front and rear main crank seals. Prior to emissions regulations you just vented it to the atmosphere.
The pcv valve allows the crankcase pressure to be directed back into the intake where it can be reburned which is more environmentally friendly.
The fact that you pull out combustion gases from the crankcase is more of a perk, the pcv system wasn't designed solely around that. And you could also make the case that since you are contanstly sucking air out of the crankcase you need a vent to allow air back into the crankcase, in doing so you're constantly supplying fresh air (oxygen) to the oil which actually helps oxidize it and that fresh air also constantly introduces moisture into the oil.

the coldest part of the engine is the inlet to the water pump, after the coolant has cooled in the radiator.

dude, the heads are one of the hottest places in the engine, that is why you see on sludge & varnish prone engines all that muck under the valve covers. It's also why the coolant temp sender is installed into the water passage in the head.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, even when the engine is warming up !
Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude you are cluless. I have lived in northern climates like Wisconsin and Alaska. It is not a top secret on how condensation builds up in a internal combustion engine. If you dirve alot of short trips you will get build up. If you drive longer distances you will not. You need to learn this basic principal before you post up incorrect info on a subject.

Quick Reply: pcv system