General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 02:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Official F-Body Window Motor Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a dorman motor in my car. Replaced an ACDelco. So far so good... but it is noisier than the ACdelco.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

just my .02 cents...I still have original motors in my 99 z28..both had stopped working at differnt times; after checking the motors with 12 volt load on work bench they would spin!! what I found out was that the harness connection was coming loose over time. The clips inside the harness will open up and cause intermittent loss of power and the window motor slows down or stops completely. what I did to fix this problem is squeeze the metal tabs inside the harness connection closer together .Then I stuck a wedged shim under the harness connector to help hold the harness in place( the wiring pulls down on the harness) wrap the connection with electrical tape for extra support and to keep the shim from moving or falling out..pretty simple and may work for you too.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perezpowerbuilders
just my .02 cents...I still have original motors in my 99 z28..both had stopped working at differnt times; after checking the motors with 12 volt load on work bench they would spin!! what I found out was that the harness connection was coming loose over time. The clips inside the harness will open up and cause intermittent loss of power and the window motor slows down or stops completely. what I did to fix this problem is squeeze the metal tabs inside the harness connection closer together .Then I stuck a wedged shim under the harness connector to help hold the harness in place( the wiring pulls down on the harness) wrap the connection with electrical tape for extra support and to keep the shim from moving or falling out..pretty simple and may work for you too.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The OEM motor is junk not the after market motor... I replaced my drivers side motor about 3 1/2 years ago with one with a lifetime garantee from advance auto parts....if memory serves it was about $35 and it goes up and down like a race horse..the pass side OEM motor is still working ... it is not fast but none of the OEM motors are fast..don't know about not rolling them all the way down ... I've been rolling mine all the way down now for ten years and 224,500 + miles. You can replace one in about 45 minutes there is a sticky that will show you how to do it with lots of photos. Now that I have done one I could probably to one in 30 minutes. Don't sweat it there is nothing to it. As to manual roll up windows ..phuch that ... the last car I had those kind of windows in was a 1955 Chevy...the only power window problem I have ever had was replacing the drivers side in this car 3 1/2 years ago and I have owned a lot of cars.
what was the brand of the replacement motor. Or company that made the motor?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My two motors are factory 1998 models....still working fine.

I have 2 brand new AC Delco window motors in my storage unit when one takes a ****. Do yourselves a favor...IF....you plan to keep your car forever like I do...or for a lot longer. Stock up on parts. Soon certain parts will no longer be around. Some already are history.....

I have 4 new headlight motors, 2 new door handles I found at the junk yard, 2 new T-Tops and 2 door glass off a wrecked car for free, same wrecked car I took the black cowl piece and the windshield wiper motor, new back hatch glass edge molding, new door seals for both sides, getting a power seat motor from a friend, new blinker arm assembly, got 1 new power door lock, new motor mounts, 3 new A/C control *****, new headlight rotating ****, shifter ****, 2 almost new rear spring hats, and I bought two T-Top little black trim pieces everyone can't find, should be installing my new Level 4 - 4L80E next week, gonna have my 4L60E rebuilt and then store it, gonna have my calipers powder coated and I'll keep the 4 cores in storage, have front lower and upper control arms with new bushings stored, looking for a gas tank and anything else I find.....

Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Wow, okay. I'll start looking in junkyards around here. Unfortunately theres not many that have fbodies like mine if at all... I'll keep an eye out!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by frerkingdylan
Wow, okay.
Reports of the apocalypse are greatly exaggerated...

These cars are well supported in the aftermarket and our window motors were installed in GM cars for almost 40 years. Many parts will continue to be available for some time. Prices will go up from here on out, but that shouldn't be an issue. There's a cost to holding inventory, (particularly parts one buys and may never ever use) and that's what we pay for when we buy down the road. Better pay later than now.

The tooling for the new motor design is still out there. Hopefully it will get dusted off and the new motors will come back, which is more reason to wait.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Woo-Hoo.......scored two new sunvisors in brand new condition. I was about to buy those leather covers off ebay..........

Quick Reply: Official F-Body Window Motor Thread!