General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Parking the car for a few months, what to do with battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Parking the car for a few months, what to do with battery?

I think today was the last day im driving it till nice weather. Im not going to bother with a battery tender so should I disconnect it and bring it inside or just leave it in the car hooked up?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as it is not discharged a lot, the cold will prevent self discharge so leave it in the car disconnected.
Only thing to worry about a battery and the cold is if the battery is discharged then the electrolyte can freeze if it gets cold enough, but for a good battery it's not an issue.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
as long as it is not discharged a lot, the cold will prevent self discharge so leave it in the car disconnected.
Only thing to worry about a battery and the cold is if the battery is discharged then the electrolyte can freeze if it gets cold enough, but for a good battery it's not an issue.
Thanks, I see your from CT too. Its getting cold up here man. Alrighty so ill just disconnect it and leave it in the car.
I wasnt gonna go all crazy with the storage for the car. Its outside with covers on it. Should I do anything else thats simple? Im probly gonna dump a little seafoam in the tank.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use fuel stabilizer, fill up gas tank, and pump the tires to max psi and youre all set. I'd change the oil as well just to have fresh oil in there when you first start it up again.