General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

some issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some issues

Hey there,
I recently bought a 2001 Z28 A4, stock and have some questions / issues. Please bare with me that I am not a car techy and have only basic understanding of cars. This is my second camaro, had a 96 Z28 that I drove for 1 year (this was 6 years ago). Once you drive a camaro, you will definitely want to get another one! I love it.

1- ASR OFF, Brake and ABS lights come on after some time of driving, I took the car to a scan and the guy told me you have ECU Malfunction. I searched the site and some threads say I need to change the ABS Module? Do I need to change the entire ABS system? What are the parts / part numbers I need to change? Can I do it myself or should I take it to a mechanic? I checked eBay and found many results so I don't know what part should I change. Can someone please post a link to eBay for the part I need to change?

2- My windows do not work all the time, If I take the window all the way down or use it many times during a short period of time it won't go up again, I need to wait for few minutes so I take it up again. Do I need to replace the motors?

3- Now this is strange. I feel there is pressure in the cabin, especially when I drive slowly on uneven (gravel) roads doing less than 5 KM/H and the windows are all up I feel huge pressure in my ears, as if I am diving! and even when I'm cruising at 120 KM/H I'm getting a headache after some time because of this pressure! Has anybody felt the same? What do I need to do?

4- The passenger side foot vent is not blowing air (the driver side does), what could be the problem and what do I need to check? It was working fine and suddenly stopped blowing air few days ago.

thanks a lot.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Sounds like you could have a bad wheel sensor on one of the wheels. If your car has ASR then each wheel has a sensor on it, the computer uses these sensors for the ABS and ASR system. If the lights come on after you have been driving then its possible one of these sensors is damaged or unplugged. I would start be looking at each wheel on teh backside of the wheel and make sure the sensor is plugged in and the wires are frayed or damaged.

2. Windows motors probably need replaced, common issue.

3. Never heard of this, not sure.

4. Normally I would say one of the vacuum lines came undone for the controls but if the driver side works then thats probably not the case. Never heard of this either.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

re point 1, if my wheel sensors are blown shouldn't the scan give different code other than "ECU Malfunction"?

Yes, the car has ASR
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

#3 - does it have a lid? If yes, then the air going thru the intake can make a very low freq "sound", actually feels like pressure. The stock airbox has baffles on each side to eliminate this effect.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know for sure if a wheel sensor will pop up on a scan of the motor ECU. The ABS/ASR system has its own computer so I am thinking you would have to hook a tech II or something to this to pull the codes for that system. If the engine ECU is throwing out that code then that is a seperate issue I think.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

You mean an aftermarket lid? I am not sure about that... Seems the car is stock. If it hasn't got an aftermarket lid, is there anything to be done to the stock lid to reduce this effect?

It is not motor codes I'm talking about, I think the guy who scanned (and he connected the scanner to a reader under the steering wheel) was referring to the ABS computer...
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Right aftermarket lid. If it has big plastic boxes sticking out either side it's the stock lid, in that case