General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ATF to flush oil system?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF to flush oil system?

Anyone heard of using ATF to flush and clean to sludge in your oil system?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah it a trick the old timers used. I tried it on an old 250 straight 6 and it worked. Motor was pulled for a v8 swap.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
Anyone heard of using ATF to flush and clean to sludge in your oil system?
There are many ways to flush a crankcase at an oil change:
ATF fluid (also great to put 1 qrt into your gas tank (full tank) to clean the fuel system)
Rubbing alcohol (2-3 bottles)
Regular Engine Flush at the auto parts store
Sea Foam
Marvel Mystery oil
and about a million other products...............

all of which should only be used with the engine ONLY idling....no revs. Then chage the oil after 5-10 minutes of flushing.

BUT.....you must, you MUST, run 4 quarts of new oil through it after the flush to clean out all of the flush "chemical" that you used.....because you do not want to have that chemical mixed in with the new oil that you are going to drive with for the next 3,000 miles.

I've been doing engine flushes at every single oil change for 150,000 miles on my current 427ci stroker motor and its doing great......but I just recently started doing the 4 quarts of new oil to flush out the chemicals. Its just another smart step in the process. I wish I would have been doing that extra step for all this time, but at least DO the engine flush at each oil change.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My engine instructor said he ran just straight ATF at idle for about 1/2 hr then flushed, then rand the ATF/oil mixture after. By he said the customers sludge problem was really bad.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

My engine instructor said he ran just straight ATF at idle for about 1/2 hr then flushed, then rand the ATF/oil mixture after. By he said the customers sludge problem was really bad.
He runs his engines with ATF in the oil for extended periods? He drives it like that?

If so, he's killing all of the bottom end bearings. You can't put chemicals into the oil that thins it out, especially ATF or SeaFoam. Less protection from being thin and more heat from the added friction. Very bad......

Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I said that he used just straight ATF and just let it idle for 30 mins. After that he flushed it then ran the atf/oil mixture.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Banned

No I said that he used just straight ATF and just let it idle for 30 mins. After that he flushed it then ran the atf/oil mixture.
Holy ****.......straight ATF in the crankcase.....NO oil..........wow, what an idiot.

Just to let you know.....DO NOT do that. You need alot of oil in there with whatever flush you choose to use....at idle only during the flush.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Holy ****.......straight ATF in the crankcase.....NO oil..........wow, what an idiot.

Just to let you know.....DO NOT do that. You need alot of oil in there with whatever flush you choose to use....at idle only during the flush.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Most likely the customers car was loosing oil pressure fairly easily so it was either install a new motor or flush the **** out of the engine and hope for the best. worst case scenario is what, it needs a new motor. He said the instructor did it because the engine was severely sludged up. So i can understand. Ive seen it done. I have used engine flushes before. I would not recommend using transmission fluid because i believe that is an old school method and now we specifically have chemicals to replace older methods where the said chemicals were not available. BG has an awesome flush. give it a try. Follow the instructions exactly. A proper flush is like doing 3 oil changes at once though. first time the flush is added, next one is to ensure all the flush is removed, and last is fresh oil for the next 3000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATF to flush oil system?