General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Could this be a bad Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could this be a bad Alignment?

Alright, try to make this as easy and short as possible so here goes. Recently I picked up some ZR1s wheels from someone local 2 tires had 275s on them and the other 2 had 235s on them. Well turns out the 235s both had a air bubble on the sidewall so I ended up replacing those tires with 2 new 275s (so that id have same size all around) So of course I put the new tires on the rear and his 2 275s already mounted onto the front of the car. Well now the ride is pretty bad, before with my stock wheels the ride was smooth with no pulling or anything now its pretty bad. The steering wheel jolts side to side pretty easily and freely now by itself and the car pulls really hard to the right. Also when applying the brakes at a semi higher speed (40ish mph give or take) the car well pull pretty hard to the left or right. So basically to me seems like the car is in a need of a good alignment and balance to get everything good and even. But could it be something else? All the tires have great tire pressure because that was my first guess and everything is mounted right.

Reason why I am asking is because on a previous car I have gone from 16s to 17s with a wider tire with no issues so this is new to me.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try switching the front tires with the rear, then post up the results.

Carl
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad alignment to me. Did you balance the new wheels or get an alignment after putting the new wheels on?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems to me there's some worn out front end parts in your car because some different wheels and tires shouldn't cause that. Have the front end checked out and also have them check out the 275's that were on the wheels.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Bad tires can cause a pull. I see it almost everyday at our shop. If your tires aren't directional, you can swap the two front tires side to side and see if the pull goes to the other side. That's why they make tire balancers that measure road force, to find out of round or mis-shaped tires that can cause drivability issues.