General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tapping on passenger side, low oil, bubbles on dip stick, milky res in oil neck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tapping on passenger side, low oil, bubbles on dip stick, milky res in oil neck!

Last night I came back from a trip in Sarasota and I starting hearing a tapping. I stopped at a station and its pretty loud and it coming from the pass side. I checked the oil and it was a little below the ad mark and had bubbles on it. Dark as usual but no milky residue. I went to ad oil and noticed milky residue in the oil filler neck and on the cap.

I then continued to drive down the road and it pretty much stopped and then came back as soon as I got back in the driveway (10 miles maybe).

BTW: It never ran over temp. Stayed just under 210...

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 01-26-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Just went and checked out oil filler neck and cap. Now its just dirty, no residue.

Rad was just dirty because it was a little low. Added some water and let it run awhile and doesnt have anything in the water. Nice and green.

I still havent heard any tapping, hard to tell when reving it up because the car is loud but it deff wasnt like it was last night.

At idle I put a stethoscope on the top end and heard nothing out of the ordanary.

So maybe condensation in the filler neck? The temp dropped dramatically last night. About 60+ degrees down to 17*.

OIL PSI 21+ at idle
Sending unit or???

Again oil did get low and it was tapping. So whats my next step?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone?

Decided to try again to see if any thing has changed.

Oil PSI got up to 38 at cold start idle. Hot idle 21. Increases with RPM.

Temp still did not go up passed 210 but it did get to 210. Normally its just under.

Drove it about a mile and all seems fine. Seems to have a bit of a squeaking pulley sound. Almost sounds like top end or water pump or AC idler. Cant really tell.

Then after all said and done (engine off), I noticed a wet spot in the dirt. Just under the exhaust tips. Then seen smoke out the left tip. Wiped my finger in the exhaust and noticed clear water mixed with soot flakes.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
Anyone?

Decided to try again to see if any thing has changed.

Oil PSI got up to 38 at cold start idle. Hot idle 21. Increases with RPM.

Temp still did not go up passed 210 but it did get to 210. Normally its just under.

Drove it about a mile and all seems fine. Seems to have a bit of a squeaking pulley sound. Almost sounds like top end or water pump or AC idler. Cant really tell.

Then after all said and done (engine off), I noticed a wet spot in the dirt. Just under the exhaust tips. Then seen smoke out the left tip. Wiped my finger in the exhaust and noticed clear water mixed with soot flakes.
The white stuff in the filler neck is very common, especially when you don't run the engine long enough to burn out any moisture in the crankcase.

Hmmm, maybe a blown head gasket and mixing oil/coolant. Leakdown check on all cylinders might be a good idea.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like its OK no tapping or anything. Guess it was just low oil and the huge temp drop.

Took off the A/C belt and now the motor is quiet as can be!!!

Now to replace the driver side valve cover, AC routing pulley (if I can get it off), and torque the rockers. I may still take out the push rods on the pass side just to make sure none are bent.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, I was driving home today and stopped at Autozone to buy my next oil change. Decided to check oil just for the hell of it and same thing man. Slightly low, couple bubbles on dipstick but still dark (not milky), don't know why I removed the filler cap and OH ****!!!! Milky residue....about had a heart attack! Drove home and the whole time I'm thinking ****, I'm gonna need a new heads or a new motor, straight freaking out. Checked this thread, I feel alot better.

The car runs fine. Good oil PSI, no Check engine light, no stuttering, still eating Ricers for breakfast and mustangs for dinner so I hope it does not go beyond this. Will post again if anything happens. Thanks Nimrod for the post and LS6427 for the reply.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both posters in this thread - DRAIN YOUR OIL AND CHECK IT OUT. No sense guessing, when you can quickly change your oil and determine if you have coolant mixed in there.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Changing the oil really raised the PSI and it responds well to RPM. Oil was dark but not milky. verified that i havent lost any water.

New issue though. I did recive a P0306 codes this morning. Cyl #6 missfire.
Thats exactly around the area I heard the tapping. So I suppose I really need to check out that pass side. What do you guys think about this?

It did run a little rough at the stop sign at the end of my road, then all was well. Then the light came on. Still running fine. Also it was raining like hell (if that has anything to do with it). Just wondering if I have a broken pushrod or something...
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 AM
TECH Regular

Visually checked the springs and what i could see of the rockers and push rods. Still want to know what couldve been tapping and if I did perm damage. Ive also noticed at idle that i can hear a constant random muffled rattle from the bottom end. Sounds like a mess; would love to know what it is. Ill get a recording if i can.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:edit: re rear the complete thread. If yoru getting misfire on cyl 6 pull the #6 plug as well. It you have stock manifolds it is a BITCH! but it could just be time for new plugs

Did you oil PSI start dropping AFTER the ticking started or has it always been 21psi at idle?

I hate to be the bearer of bad new but it sounds like lifter issues to me

Also the milky **** on the udnerside of your oil fill neck is common around this time of year. It is **** in the oil that isnt burned off because short trips do not let oil temps get to the point where it starts burning stuff up and cleaning itself.

Take the valve cover back off, disconnect both sets of coil packs and have someone turn the motor over for you. Watch the rockers and look for any funy movement. also get a torque wrench and check to make sure all rockers are torqued to 22ft lbs.

Here is what happens worst case scenario when a lifter fails...

On the left good lifter, on the right one that turned and got beat to **** by my cam

Quick Reply: Tapping on passenger side, low oil, bubbles on dip stick, milky res in oil neck!