General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission squeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85C10GENIII
classic1, have you changed out the converter yet? And if yes whats the result?
I have not changed out the converter. I was waiting for Chris to send you one and hoping it would fix your problem. Has he sent it to you yet? Also I used GM fluid from the dealer. I believe it is Dexron VI.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by classic1
I have not changed out the converter. I was waiting for Chris to send you one and hoping it would fix your problem. Has he sent it to you yet? Also I used GM fluid from the dealer. I believe it is Dexron VI.
I did recieve the converter and I actually ordered a new flywheel as well just to be safe cause I think if the stock flywheel is out of balance it might have caused the bearing to be spun. Just a precaution, so I am waiting on that but should hopefully find time to put her back together this weekend or next week sometime. I will keep you updated.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Teching In

I did recieve the converter and I actually ordered a new flywheel as well just to be safe cause I think if the stock flywheel is out of balance it might have caused the bearing to be spun. Just a precaution, so I am waiting on that but should hopefully find time to put her back together this weekend or next week sometime. I will keep you updated.
Good Idea. I can't wait to see if it fixed the problem. I will keep my fingers crossed. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Hey i figured out the problem in mine. Hopefully yours is just as simple. It is the pcv valve. It started squealing and i took the oil fill cap off and a lot of vaccuum released. and the squeak dissappeared. Give it a shot because i thought for sure it was in the trans.

Edit: It is actually not pcv because the motor I have is a 2004 which did not use a pcv valve. I has an orifice that looks like one but it has no check ball, it just flows freely. I had the vacuum lines done wrong. I had a hose going from passenger valve cover to manifold which is wrong and now I see why because it is building up too much vaccum in the crankcase instead of circulating it through and causing a squeal somewhere. It is probably at the rear main seal which is why we think it is the trans. It goes away on when you give it gas because there is less vacuum being pulled from the manifold. When I took cap off oil fill, it released that build up of vaccuum in the crankcase and the squeal was gone.

Last edited by classic1; 01-13-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

so what did you do to change it? I also have a 2004 4.8l but I have an LS1 intake on it. I think my vacumm lines might have been wrong as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Teching In

so what did you do to change it? I also have a 2004 4.8l but I have an LS1 intake on it. I think my vacumm lines might have been wrong as well.
I took the line off of the passenger valve cover that I had coming from the manifold. I plugged it so I didn't have a vacuum leak and i'm going to put a filter on the passenger valve cover outlet.

Try taking off your oil cap when you are getting the squeal and see what happens. I should be able to help you if it is a vacuum problem. Post a pic of your vacuum lines.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought I was having the same issue with a known good converter/trans combo and it seems to have gone away on its own. I did do a trans fluid and filter swap though so maybe that did it. (the old fluid was about a year old and had about 1500 miles on it)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I hope you can see the valve cover hose going to the manifold in the front. I hope I will be getting my trans back this weekend and then I will be able to test it out.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission squeal-img_2501.jpg   Transmission squeal-img_2465.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I hope you can see the valve cover hose going to the manifold in the front. I hope I will be getting my trans back this weekend and then I will be able to test it out.
That hose on the passenger side is wrong. Can't see any of the other hoses.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I knew it. Well do you have a good pic of the top of a mainfold with the hoses hooked up the right way for me?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

This is the best I could do based on a diagram I found on google.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will help too: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Teching In

You guys beat me to it. 85c10genIII did you pop the oil cap off when it was squealing. Hope this all helps you get the lines set up right. Sorry I didn't think of the vaccuum line set up before you dropped the trans and converter.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately I do not any evap canister and I have a drive by wire throttle body which doesnt have the tube for the passenger vent tube coming from the valve cover. Aslo I do not have a extra vent tube on the back of the passenger valve cover. I have a 2004 4.8l out of a sivlerado truck with a intake swap. I actually just looked and I dont have back of the intake manifold tube routed anywhere but do have the other side routed to the booster.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Unfortunately I do not any evap canister and I have a drive by wire throttle body which doesnt have the tube for the passenger vent tube coming from the valve cover. Aslo I do not have a extra vent tube on the back of the passenger valve cover. I have a 2004 4.8l out of a sivlerado truck with a intake swap. I actually just looked and I dont have back of the intake manifold tube routed anywhere but do have the other side routed to the booster.
You don't need the evap stuff.
Since you don't have a tube in your TB you can turn the fitting on the valve cover upwards and put a small filter on it. Or run it to the air filter tube after the maf and before the throttle blade. Just anything so it can suck clean air.

Basically you need to run the original PCV port off the valve cover to the intake. Then find another vent for fresh air to enter.

Then just plug the extra fitting on the back of the intake.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Well case is solved guys and thanks for all the support!! I found out it was the same thing as classic1's problem. I hade the passenger crank case vent routed wrong as well as the back of the intake not plugged and once I did that I havent heard the sound since! I want to thank Chris at circle d for putting up with me while I found this problem and for all the support that circle d gave as well! The converter is working great and was the whole time just lack of knowledge is what happened. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Well case is solved guys and thanks for all the support!! I found out it was the same thing as classic1's problem. I hade the passenger crank case vent routed wrong as well as the back of the intake not plugged and once I did that I havent heard the sound since! I want to thank Chris at circle d for putting up with me while I found this problem and for all the support that circle d gave as well! The converter is working great and was the whole time just lack of knowledge is what happened. Thanks!
Glad I could help you out. Sorry I couldn't let you know before you dropped the trans and converter but I'm glad we both got this stupid little issue figured out. Good luck on your build, hope everything else runs right and stays quiet for you. And also thanks Chris for your support and willingness to work with all of your customers.

-Nick
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Thank you, ALL who posted on this issue. I have a 2003 Buick with a 3.8 that developed this exact same squeal. I have been puzzling and researching this for 6 months now.Swore it must be in the transmission because that's where the noise as coming from.
Followed classic1's directions pulled the oil cap off while it was squealing and the noise stopped immediately. I will dig in to this tomorrow and will start a new thread to let others know that it may just be a simple vacuum issue.
You Rock!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Teching In

I bee dealing with what I think is same problem. I thought it was transmission and I kinda just forgot about the whole thing for last 6 month's. I have a 2006 lq9. the variable's are I have the wieand lingenfelter manifold and I have a dbw tb. When I go to take off the oild cap like you guys said it has such negative pressure that that cap almost wont come off. when I do I sucks air in. can someone help me on where vacuum lines are supposed to go?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to bump this 7 year old thread because it helped me and was relevant in making my issue go away. i run a 2004 4.8 with ls6 intake and ls1 throttle body in a 94 fbody and i had one of the vacuum lines wrong. i took it all off after I redid my harness over the winter and then the chirp/squeal came into play all of a sudden. i chased accessories, alternator, etc.. it ran fine, but would start to 'chirp' after a while. i thought it was squeal from accessories, but it was not. Finally got to this thread and taking off the oil cap i had the same negative pressure.

I did not use the LS6 conversion as is linked above, I used what came on my 2004 motor. The way mine is now is the driver's side valve cover goes into the Intake. The passenger side goes into the throttle body port. Hopefully helps others that are maybe stuck with the same issue. no more chirps

Quick Reply: Transmission squeal