General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

vibrations @ certain speeds,and some more things

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vibrations @ certain speeds,and some more things

car-00 formy-t56 trans , carbon fiber DS, stock whining 10bolt /3.42s..

when accelerating "normally" it gets a very suttle vibration about 40-50 mph then goes away.... all is good.... but... around 120+ it starts getting a hard teeth chattering vibration that does not go away...

i really dont think that the drive shaft could be out of balance... that thing cost 700$... but im kinda wondering.....

any opinions on what that may be?

also ... when making a left turn... kinda sounds like there is some very light grinding coming from the rear end.... im thinking the wheel bearings are starting to go ... if i push on the back of the car ( side to side) i can see some wheels play... maybe 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch

i know these are c clip axles but do they need that much play? or are my c clips getting worn to the point of failure?!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm subscribing to this thread. i have some problems of my own that seem similar.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe an 1/8 of an inch play side to side is normal. Can you tell if the vibration is coming from the front or the back?

I had vibration coming from the back on mine. It was the worst around 60 and was better up until about 100 and anything above that was scary.

I put the rear on jack stands and let the car idle in drive while I watched the rims from the side. The passenger side had an obvious problem. I brought it to a shop to check the wheel and they placed the wheel on the balancer and spun it by hand. It was very obvious that the rim was bent.

I've yet to check the axle to make sure it wasn't bent but that could be a problem also. If you feel it coming from your rear end, put the rear on jack stands and let it idle in gear while you watch the rims looking for any signs of warping or bends.