General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What happens when you park your car downhill during a rainstorm....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when you park your car downhill during a rainstorm....

Through a few rainstorms actually, I think 10-12 inches worth. Anyways, I had been looking for a good reason to put sound deadener in my car.....

Maybe this is in the manual, but chalk it up to some just back asswards GM engineering. I didn't realize this would happen, don't let it happen to you. I noticed I had a problem when I was getting MAJOR condensation inside my windows. Like it had rained in my car. Then I realized the passenger side rear footwell had a puddle of water sitting in it.

What a mess.

A couple questions:

1. I have a couple areas where there are the beginnings of rust on the body. I want to use a wire wheel to take care of these areas, but what should I use to paint over the area afterwards?

2. Since I am putting sound deadener in the car, do I need to keep the insulation attached to the bottom of the carpet? This stuff is soaked and I am worried about it smelling even after it dries out.

3. What should I spray on the carpet / everything to make sure I have killed any mold?

4. Is there any way to modify the gutters on these cars so that I won't have problems when parking downhill?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Lots of similar posts out there with related issues.

Did you park the car facing downhill? If so, there is a TSB related to an unsealed joint in the hatch area.

Is there a smell now? If not, you should just be able to dry the carpet out fully and you'll be fine. smell=mold.

You may also want to get some desiccant from your local home supply store if you want to dry out the inside of the car faster. (They sell this stuff for moisture in basements, etc.)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Lots of similar posts out there with related issues.

Did you park the car facing downhill? If so, there is a TSB related to an unsealed joint in the hatch area.

Is there a smell now? If not, you should just be able to dry the carpet out fully and you'll be fine. smell=mold.

You may also want to get some desiccant from your local home supply store if you want to dry out the inside of the car faster. (They sell this stuff for moisture in basements, etc.)

I have heard of this TSB but have not seen any write up for it. Also, I thought it was only for when the hatch was open .

Not much of an odor, but the insulation is really wet. Hopefully a few days of sun should dry it out.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Best info I have found is in this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...argo-area.html

At least you found all that money under your seats!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Best info I have found is in this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...argo-area.html

At least you found all that money under your seats!
LOL! I lifted up the carpet thats directly underneath the center console and must have found about 100 pennies.

Quick Reply: What happens when you park your car downhill during a rainstorm....