General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: Your problem IS/ARE the.....
Spark Plugs (w/o DTS)
33.33%
Fuel Pump / Sending Unit
0%
Coil Packs
0%
Something else! ...???
33.33%
Spend more time w/ SEARCH!!!
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

(VID) Misfire w/o DTC ... Need Advise!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question (VID) Misfire w/o DTC ... Need Advise!

So, just like the tittle says: Misfire w/o DTC... ???
WHY? I've never understood this. I've heard, time and time again that SOMETIMES you can have a misfire w/o the P0300 DTC pop'n up.
... Oh, and take a peek at the Vid. I just wanna make sure that the likely culprit are the plugs. If not, tell me what you think. This just happened 20 minutes ago so I haven't done too much detective work.

BTW, at the beginning of the Vid I mention that she won't start. Ignore that. Don't know why I said that!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1Zq...e_gdata_player
Not sure if you can tell but after I backed her out of my garage, she was stumbling pretty bad. Almost felt like I wasn't gonna be able to pull her into my garage. I was almost ready to kill the ignition and push.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-04-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

ttt.......
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing without giving the code right away. Took about 1 day or so before it popped up. Its going to be either spark plugs or wires. Mine, was a fouled 02. It would misfire so bad that it sounded like I detonated a piston. By the way, a bad wire will foul up the 02 sensor as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the intake bolts.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by frack
Mine did the same thing without giving the code right away. Took about 1 day or so before it popped up. Its going to be either spark plugs or wires. Mine, was a fouled 02. It would misfire so bad that it sounded like I detonated a piston. By the way, a bad wire will foul up the 02 sensor as well.
It's just trip'n me out that it's not throwing a DTC. The ONLY time I've ever know these cars to have an issue w/o a DTC was when my starter took a ****! ... But besides that, I've never known (personally) for a problem to occur w/o a DTC. ... I've heard a few times that SOMETIMES you can have a misfire w/o a DTC but for the life of me I can't remember what I was told would be the cause. The lack of a DTC is ******* ****'n me off. (<-never thought I'd say that )

... The MSD wires are new. Literally only 3,200 miles on them. I doubt it's them. I'm leaning more toward the plugs, coils and 02s.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Form
check the intake bolts.
I've never known those to just back out. Especially 'upwards'! ... Can't hurt to inspect though.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

BTW... I forgot to mention. I JUST installed the Fuel Rail Covers about 3-4 days before but never turned the car in until THAT day when I noticed the issue.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I've never known those to just back out. Especially 'upwards'! ... Can't hurt to inspect though.
Thats some funny sheeet, bolts don't care about gavity. LMAO

I had to tighten mine 3 times over a few weeks with the proper torque of 89 inch lbs before they stayed tight and every time the engine ran a little different at idle and part throttle so it had to have a small vac leak. When I 1st checked them after getting P0300 I could turn them withour effort they were that loose. Plastic must really move around as it gets hot and cold constantly. I'm afraid my intake gaskets are damaged from being too loose because I can hear and feel the system go into closed loop as its warming up. I'm not getting any codes but there must be a vac leak someplace for this to happen.

Last edited by O2Form; 01-05-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Well after 1 hour of searching I found someone from 06 who had this similar issue. Turned out that since his rear o2s were deleted (mine also), that he wasn't throw'n a code either even though it was his o2s. Whether that's the situation I'm in or not, it doesn't look like I have any other options. I guess I'll pick up some o2s and new plugs and go from there. I kinda had a feeling that this was the case (bad o2s) but I was and still am confused why it doesn't trip a DTC.

I also believe that I have an exhaust leak that could contribute to killing the o2s. <-this could explain the insane amount of exhaust fumes in the garage after just a minute of running.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

K.. Soo I never thought I'd be happy to see a DTC!

...plugged my handheld in and ran "DTC All" again and just got this....

Same as before!

BUT then decided to run "Specific DTC" ... Individually punched in the codes.

&

... Now, I'm happy!! ... Still confused why it didn't pop up when I ran "DTC All" but only showed a code when I manually punched in P0300 & P0420. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Spark Plugs & O2(s)!! ...

MODS, once again, I appologize for posting 2 virtually identical threads in 2 different sections on this forum. I was just trying to find an answer to a very confusing situation. I wasnt sure if because there were no codes showing, that this belonged in the "tuning" section or if since it could be something simple like replacing o2s and plugs, if it belonged here.
-Cheers!

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-06-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Search this Thread