General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?

My girlfriend has an Eclipse and I do not believe the coolant has EVER been changed! That stuff is full of chunks and the heater barely gets luke warm. Anyway I have personally flushed it three times with the garden hose and new coolant. I've also put the hose directly on the firewall to flush everything out of the heater core and the heater works a little better but still not hot as it should be. I'm wondering what is some hardcore cleaner I could run in there to clean everything out of the system and break it up so I can flush it again?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had good results with the prestone flush products you can pick up in the little yellow bottles at autozone. If I remember correctly, there are two types. Theres one that's you pour into the engine and let run for a few minutes before flushing, and theres one thats more aggressive you add to the radiator and drive around for a hundred miles or so before draining. Both are good and haven't let me down in the past.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
My girlfriend has an Eclipse and I do not believe the coolant has EVER been changed! That stuff is full of chunks and the heater barely gets luke warm. Anyway I have personally flushed it three times with the garden hose and new coolant. I've also put the hose directly on the firewall to flush everything out of the heater core and the heater works a little better but still not hot as it should be. I'm wondering what is some hardcore cleaner I could run in there to clean everything out of the system and break it up so I can flush it again?
All of the off the shelf stuff is a joke.......

Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Formula 88 degreaser.....
Take the t-stat out and put the housing back on....
Pour half of it in there and fill the rest with water....
Leave the radiator cap off and let it run for 15 minutes.....
Then turn it off for about 30 minutes and let it soak......
Then run it again for 15 minutes......
Drain it all out and flush it with water real good to get all the degreaser out.
Done.

That'll clean anything out of there. I had to do that when my power steering cooler leaked ps fluid into my coolant. It was terrible. Marble sized blobs that just kept on coming out and the inside of the radiator was completely black. When I got done with the degreaser it was crystal clear water running through it and the radiator looked brand new inside.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

HAHA I actually read your post showing your procedure with the degreaser stuff. I'm just kinda hesitant to use it. But I guess I could flush it all out with the coolant machine at my job. I work at Sears.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

id also like to know this my parents ranger is the same way.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

I may try a couple things. I looked up the Prestone stuff mentioned above and it is called "prestone super radiator cleaner". It stays in for days as opposed to a few minutes like the "flush" they sale. I also have a friend at the dealership who can get me some BG cleaner. Supposedly its amazing, he praises all their stuff from BG.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
I may try a couple things. I looked up the Prestone stuff mentioned above and it is called "prestone super radiator cleaner". It stays in for days as opposed to a few minutes like the "flush" they sale. I also have a friend at the dealership who can get me some BG cleaner. Supposedly its amazing, he praises all their stuff from BG.
I don't know how bad your cooling system is, mine was pretty bad because my power steering fluid was all through it. I tried that yellow bottle of Prestone flush, it did nothing. I also tried some other brand that was twice the size, it did nothing.

People need to realize that almost every single auto parts store stuff.....is crap and does not do what it says its supposed to do. Its a business, they sell junk. You need to go outside the box to get things that really work to fix problems on cars.

You put that Formula 88 through there like I mentioned above and your cooling system will be 100% clean. It can't hurt anything, not hoses, not your paint, nothing. I spray it on my entire rear bumper once a week to clean my black soot off from running rich. Its great stuff. I use it to clean the underneath area of the wings near the landing gear on my boss' multi-million $$$ jet, I use it all over the outside of the engine and hose it off to clean it every couple months. The stuff can't hurt anything, not even your skin.

Do it, it'll work........

And make sure you take your overflow tank out and clean that sucker with Formula 88 or gasoline or you may get crap/dirt right back into your newly clean cooling system........

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ LS6427

i appreciate your little walk-through you have him here, i myself will be doing that as well and will be crossing my fingers. i recently bought my 99 ws6 off of a guy with paperwork on the rebuilt engine and transmission as well as the cam job etc etc but i think his maintenance was a little off, so i'm doing all things necessary to keep this beast tamed

also i think my reservoir might be cracked, i just found a rag underneath it.. that doesn't just happen on accident lol
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sears coolant flush won't do **** to help you out. I worked at the Sears Auto center here for a while. We had some 300,000 mile Toyota come in overheating and the coolant looked like it had double the miles on it. Was just pure mud. An old guy in the shop told us about the degreaser method that LS6427 was talking about. That cleaned that car out good! Had brown ****-looking water ALL OVER the rear bay access lot! Then used a toilet brush to clean out hoses and the reservoir. After it was all done we found a leak at a cracked freeze plug, then the old mech replaced it. 110% pain in the ***. Take care of your coolant, guy.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Teching In

a guy at advance told me to use just distilled water and half a box of baking soda for my flush. i couldn't find formula 88 ANYWHERE. not home depot, lowes, autozone, or advance. one guy had heard of it, and apparently it's discontinued around here but not fully discontinued? i think that is very lame if so. very lame

if nobody objects i am going to do the distilled water and baking soda idea.
Note: i dont want to have to take out my tstat because it's going to be easier to do the flush without it. is it that much better of a flush with it off the whole time?!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah take the thermostat out. otherwise the coolant will need to rise in temp before your cleaner even circulates. It won't hurt the car to take it out and it shouldn't take much time either. Anyone know a substitute degreaser? I'm assuming it doesn't foam? If you NEED a non-foaming one, then Simple Green is out.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Yeah take the thermostat out. otherwise the coolant will need to rise in temp before your cleaner even circulates. It won't hurt the car to take it out and it shouldn't take much time either. Anyone know a substitute degreaser? I'm assuming it doesn't foam? If you NEED a non-foaming one, then Simple Green is out.
I'd like to know as well! I'm going to flush mine out someday this week.

Would Purple Power be any good? I've searched everywhere for Formula 88, no luck here
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How the hell do these cars survive with that kind of neglect going on inside of them?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
How the hell do these cars survive with that kind of neglect going on inside of them?
Its not coolant related but we just did front brakes on an old Oldsmobile, the old man grinded the front brakes down so much the caliper was almost completely gone on the outside, and halfway gone on the inside. Half the piston was completely ground down. I wish I took a picture. Some people just dont give a ****, then bitch that the car is a POS once they have to pay a over 1000 dollars for repairs.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Purple Power is what we used at the Sears I worked at. Check out these brakes! And the customer was REFUSING to but rotors even after being shown the damage. He decided to buy when we said that if he didn't get rotors also, we wouldn't touch ANYTHING on the car.

Attached Thumbnails What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?-img_0571.jpg   What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?-img_0570.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Purple Power is what we used at the Sears I worked at. Check out these brakes! And the customer was REFUSING to but rotors even after being shown the damage. He decided to buy when we said that if he didn't get rotors also, we wouldn't touch ANYTHING on the car.

those might be grooved but at least they're still mostly flat! lol
the guy before me neglected to do rotors on my car, so yesterday's purchase was a bit expensive... the rotors had a 1/10 of an inch lip. that's pretty big considering they were already about HALF factory minimum spec. i was shocked i didn't have any warping, and only had a little squeak maybe every other day
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Soooo....you can't run rotors/pads for 200,000miles?....news to me
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
Soooo....you can't run rotors/pads for 200,000miles?....news to me
you're really saying i cant?! ugh!

:p
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Got you beat at our sears....check out the pics I posted here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...work-cars.html
Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well at least all your stories involve the customer. The Sears I worked at had a guy who regularly forgot to put oil in after oil changes, put brake pads on backwards, did a trans fluid exchange when the new fluid reservoir was empty (so just drain the tranny), Forgot to tighten bolts down on shock and strut jobs...all stuff that should have had him fired...even dropped a car off a scissors lift. That's why I left! They got this dumb-**** workin there and the manager is denying ME jobs so that he can do em...because he's been there longer.

Quick Reply: What are you guys using to clean out cooling system?