General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smelly

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelly

The other day coming back home from being in the city i noticed a smell like burnt or fatigued metal. The smell u can only smell from inside the car not outside. According to the temp gauge it is not over heating. And the passenger side floor board is not wet or damp it has been to cold for it to have evaporated. Doing a coolant leakdown test tomorrow to see if it is the heater core.

Anyone think this could be something else guys?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Class D fire?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No

Today got it up to operating temp all the way no smell inside the car thought I smelt it a little outside the car but my dad said he didn't smell anything but exhaust so I ran it down the mountain and hard on a road outside the city no smell was coming back up the mountain started to smell it in side the car and so I turned the heat off and smell went away now been running the heat for 20 minutes and I can't get it to smell again
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the CAT is melting? I've never heard many peoples descriptions about cat problems but if it begins when you run uphill it seems it'd be linked to running the engine harder or maybe even longer. Check that you're not running rich or lean by checking your plugs. How'd the coolant pressure test go? Assuming it didn't show a problem. Don't use your HVAC for a few good drives and see if you still get the smell.