General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

4th gen camaro v6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen camaro v6 problems

My camaros breaking down alot lately. it recently overheated on me on the freeway and now when i start it, its miss firing its a p0-30-0 code, and makes a terrible when i push on the accelerator. Iv tried fixing the spark plugs but found it very difficult from the under the car and impossible over. Has anyone replaced any and if so how. also my car now is having problems start and the battery and alternator are both fine.
Please help.thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I used to have 2 Firebirds with the V-6 engine. I could change all the plugs from above once I used a 4" socket extention and a universal joint on the wrench. It helps it you have a short handled socket wrench. I have one with a good handle grip that fits in the palm of the hand and a head that tilts in several angles.

I had trouble with the wires on my V-6's going bad because they cross over the engine to the coils, so don't change the plugs without changing the wires too. The wires might be the real problem and not the plugs.

And if you have a wire that has gone bad it may have caused one of the 3 coils to blow. You get a mystery problem that happens randomly or when the engine is under a load, like when you are accelerating.

Change the plugs, you can do it, it's a hell of a lot easier than on the V-8. Change the wires too, perhaps even do that first. And if you still have the problem take the coils off and have them tested. They are easy to remove and you can remove them one at a time. Examine your wires carefully. If you find a worn spot on one, have the coil it leads to tested.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Also, if your plug wires have those little metal heat sheilds on them they are a bugger to get back on. Don't bother, just put them in a drawer, you don't need them.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

thanks i jus got the plugs replaced today.. how do i turn off the service engine light?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghardester

I had trouble with the wires on my V-6's going bad
Originally Posted by ghardester
Also, if your plug wires have those little metal heat sheilds on them they are a bugger to get back on. Don't bother, just put them in a drawer, you don't need them.
Interesting coincidence........

Originally Posted by Matt98v6
thanks i jus got the plugs replaced today.. how do i turn off the service engine light?
If your positive you repaired the problem the light should go away by itself.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM

oo ok well its having difficulities starting up now and when it starts theres a knocking noise coming from the engine i dont know exactly from where..... an extra piece of info i have the msd ignition so i dont know if that comes into play with startin my car
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do fuel pressure test and a compression test just to be safe... it'll tell you a lot. One of the other mechanics at my work just got in an Impala that was missing and both cylinders 1 and 2 because of no compression (which is wierd because they are on different banks). We have to get authorization to go any further at the moment though.... How many miles are on it? Could be a fuel pump on its way out too (although that wouldn't explain the knocking). I would coat the fuel tank straps in penetrating oil now just in case....

Quick Reply: 4th gen camaro v6 problems