General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver side squeaky door

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Driver side squeaky door

I did a search but no real solution was found. My problem is that the squeak from my door simply wont go away! No grease, no oil, no silicone spray, no dry lubricant works. I read that some of these become a temporary solution. In my case these do not work even from the beginning. My guess is something needs to be repaired or changed. My door does not sag, nor has any play BTW.

Help? LOL!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

mine does the same thing............f bod curse?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a GM door hinge problem. The bearings in the samped hinges suck. You can use a good lubricant to mask the problem, but you'll have to do that at least twice a year from here on out.

I installed this kit on my hinges (Write up to come in a month or so once I finish making some adjustments.) and the door now feels better than a Lexus. http://www.andyz28.com/3rdGen/greaseinfo.html

It's a bit expensive because 4th gens require 2 kits FOR EACH DOOR. I got the greasable ones, but there are also non-greasables available for a lower price.

The only other real fix is to replace the hinges - but those will just fail again some time in the future. (I'm hoping that these replacement bearings will last me a lot longer.)
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is not your hinge worn out, try spraying the spring and spring contact areas with WD-40. I had the same problem, and it was driving me nuts. There is a ton of pressure on the door spring, and lack of lube on the ends of it will cause a squeak. For me, it solved the problem!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
No grease, no oil, no silicone spray, no dry lubricant works.
Originally Posted by Grimes
Try spraying the spring and spring contact areas with WD-40.
I got a feeling that might not fix it.

I agree with the other guys, its gonna need hinges if you want it to go away. These are big heavy doors and a lotta people tend to slam whip them open and slam them shut.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Save the manuals!

If it is not your hinge worn out, try spraying the spring and spring contact areas with WD-40. I had the same problem, and it was driving me nuts. There is a ton of pressure on the door spring, and lack of lube on the ends of it will cause a squeak. For me, it solved the problem!
squeek = bad/worn hinge bearings

Lubrication will help mask the problem for a time. I fully support using lube to make the squeaking going away but WD-40 is about the worst thing you can use. WD-40 is a penetrating lubricant, which is useful for loosening rusted bolts, etc. - that's about it. For hinges, a more durable lubricant like SuperLube will last you longer. WD-40 will just wash away and will leave the hinge bare - leading to more squeaking and faster wear.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
squeek = bad/worn hinge bearings

Lubrication will help mask the problem for a time. I fully support using lube to make the squeaking going away but WD-40 is about the worst thing you can use. WD-40 is a penetrating lubricant, which is useful for loosening rusted bolts, etc. - that's about it. For hinges, a more durable lubricant like SuperLube will last you longer. WD-40 will just wash away and will leave the hinge bare - leading to more squeaking and faster wear.
I agree that WD-40 will wash away over time. However, it is much better at getting between the hinge pin and the busing, versus grease or lithium lube. Just have to remeber to reapply every once in a while.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Save the manuals!

I agree that WD-40 will wash away over time. However, it is much better at getting between the hinge pin and the busing, versus grease or lithium lube. Just have to remeber to reapply every once in a while.
Try this: http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube...51010-p-20.htm

If you use the oiler to put a dab on the pins, it will suck right around and get in to all the spaces. Its also great for doors around the house, etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I use WD40 to clean it, then I'll use some dry teflon lube that comes in a little bottle. You can find it at just about any local bike shop, looks almost like a nasal spray bottle. Get the one that is an all weather formula. Works great and you can spray it on the hinges from just about any direction.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
Try this: http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube...51010-p-20.htm

If you use the oiler to put a dab on the pins, it will suck right around and get in to all the spaces. Its also great for doors around the house, etc.
Cool, thanks, I'll have to give it a shot!

Quick Reply: Driver side squeaky door