General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaceing oil pan gasket HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaceing oil pan gasket HELP

I have just noticed today that my oil pan gasket has began to leak a little on my ls1, its not a big leak yet but any to me is to big so. This is the first time for me doing one of these so if anyone has any pointers i would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by T.Williams; 01-14-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a PITA. If you have a way to support the motor from the top, do so. I used an old strut tower brace and attach a chain to the front of the engine on each side. This holds the engine up when you lower the k-member down. If you have no way to support it from the top, then you must from the bottom with a jack or two. Lower the k-member down just enough so the pan will clear the bellhousing and the pickup tube. Have fun!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Someone posted a how to on swapping their connecting rod bolts with ARPs and went through the steps in removing the oil pan with pictures. You could do a search on that. If I recall his post correctly, you'll need to remove the motor mounts to drop the K member, so you could also upgrade to some poly mounts while changing the oil pan gasket.