General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light on again..

Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light on again..

First time it came on about 2 weeks ago i was at a red light and took off a little hard, trans shifted about 5k RPM's and the SES light came on.

Took it to Autozone to get scanned and it was running lean on bank 1. They reset the light. I bought some MAF cleaner and a fuel filter and came home and cleaned the MAF. It was pretty dirty but it seemed to do the trick.

Well, earlier I was going to the store and just had to get on it. SES light comes on, I'm sure it's the same thing again.

I have not installed the fuel filter yet, i will do that tomorrow. The air filter could probably use a change. What's a decent one i can get from Autozone/Advanced/O'Reily's etc that is good enough for now till i can afford a K&N?

After i post this i will order an OBD-II to iPhone cable so i can check fuel pressure amongst other things.

If the O2 sensor was bad, it should be throwing it's own code, right? It has to be either the fuel filter or fuel pressure (fuel pump/regulator), right?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elwood2
First time it came on about 2 weeks ago i was at a red light and took off a little hard, trans shifted about 5k RPM's and the SES light came on.

Took it to Autozone to get scanned and it was running lean on bank 1. They reset the light. I bought some MAF cleaner and a fuel filter and came home and cleaned the MAF. It was pretty dirty but it seemed to do the trick.

Well, earlier I was going to the store and just had to get on it. SES light comes on, I'm sure it's the same thing again.

I have not installed the fuel filter yet, i will do that tomorrow. The air filter could probably use a change. What's a decent one i can get from Autozone/Advanced/O'Reily's etc that is good enough for now till i can afford a K&N?

After i post this i will order an OBD-II to iPhone cable so i can check fuel pressure amongst other things.

If the O2 sensor was bad, it should be throwing it's own code, right? It has to be either the fuel filter or fuel pressure (fuel pump/regulator), right?
It could be many different things. Similiar issue on my truck turned out to be one of the cats plugged and making back pressure, throwing off the air fuel ratio. Cats are expensive so don't start with that. Change the fuel filter, maybe put some injector cleaner in it and see what happens. You may get different codes next time you read it. Also the light can just go out on its own. I am not familiar with the iphone code reader, I would probably just stop by autozone and havethem read it again.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
It could be many different things. Similiar issue on my truck turned out to be one of the cats plugged and making back pressure, throwing off the air fuel ratio. Cats are expensive so don't start with that. Change the fuel filter, maybe put some injector cleaner in it and see what happens. You may get different codes next time you read it. Also the light can just go out on its own. I am not familiar with the iphone code reader, I would probably just stop by autozone and havethem read it again.
I might try some fuel injection cleaner next time i fill up. Definitely going to get a new cheap air filter tomorrow and change the fuel filter.

The OBD-II to iPhone cable is just like any other handheld scanner/logger except a bit cheaper. Check it out.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Skip the K & N and save some money. You'll be fine with a stock-ish paper filter. Look at it this way: you won't have to worry about over-oiling the filter and screwing your MAF up. BTW, that's a really cool 'app for the Iphone-OBD thingy though; I've always thought smartphones were just all gimmicks but some of those 'apps are downright cool...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

check injectors on driver side. pour some foam in your tank!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
check injectors on driver side. pour some foam in your tank!
I know i read in one of the how to's that you need to change sparkplugs after putting it in your oil or vacuum line.

Do you need to change anything (fuel filter?) after seafoam in the gas tank?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by elwood2
I know i read in one of the how to's that you need to change sparkplugs after putting it in your oil or vacuum line.

Do you need to change anything (fuel filter?) after seafoam in the gas tank?
only if you have'nt changed your filter in awhile. I would pour about 3/4 of the can then fill it up, when your about 1/8 tank left then change your fuel filter.

Search this Thread