General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T/A Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T/A Headlight problem

Hey guys my Pass side headlight will not pop up. The light comes on but it stays down. No motor noise, no gear grinding. Just did it all at once worked fine one min and then nothing the next time i turned them on. Any ideas? does each motor have a diff fuse or relay?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think there is a separate motor controller for each side - but you should test the electrical connection for the motor first. These are notorious for corroding and that could be your problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man i'll check it out.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Just had the same problem. Last friday ( Jan 21st. ) Got in my car to go home from the g/fs and the passenger side headlight wouldnt come up. Light was on also. Stopped at my local Autozone Store and picked up a new one ( bought the last one there and has a lifetime warranty) when I took the broke one out it had blown the back cover off of the motor. Thats why I didnt get any noise.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by wes1972
Just had the same problem. Last friday ( Jan 21st. ) Got in my car to go home from the g/fs and the passenger side headlight wouldnt come up. Light was on also. Stopped at my local Autozone Store and picked up a new one ( bought the last one there and has a lifetime warranty) when I took the broke one out it had blown the back cover off of the motor. Thats why I didnt get any noise.
Was it the back cover that goes over the large gear? This has happened before when people change the gear and don't glue the cover on well.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

If you put it up manually does it go down if you shut them off? It may have the stop broken off allowing it to park down to far and jam.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having a similar problem. Mine would do the exact same and I can go over to it and pull it up and it falls back down it wont hold up its really loose you can move it up and down with no effort.

The lights were frozen but i ran warm water the driver came up but the pass. didn't and started doing this.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by kirkjames90
I'm having a similar problem. Mine would do the exact same and I can go over to it and pull it up and it falls back down it wont hold up its really loose you can move it up and down with no effort.

The lights were frozen but i ran warm water the driver came up but the pass. didn't and started doing this.
Check the linkage. If its on, something is totally hosed with your gear or motor.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Check the linkage. If its on, something is totally hosed with your gear or motor.
AHA thank you! Seems the rivet connecting to the headlight snapped outta place! How would you go about fixing it so itll stay in place?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Its just a press fit. It was probably not pressed on hard enough. Just put the hole over the post and press in till it holds. (You can apply enough force with your hands.) If this doesn't work, please take a pic.

How long have you had the car? Maybe someone changed the motor or gear and didn't get it on well enough?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Mine was a rebuilt motor from Autozone. The glue probably didnt stick. Butttt it worked fine for a year and a half.> They also have lifetime warranty on them. So I really wasnt that worried.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its just a press fit. It was probably not pressed on hard enough. Just put the hole over the post and press in till it holds. (You can apply enough force with your hands.) If this doesn't work, please take a pic.

How long have you had the car? Maybe someone changed the motor or gear and didn't get it on well enough?
Oh I didn't know if it was supposed to be in there good or not. Seems to be doing ok for now its staying. Did the gear swap on the motor about a year ago its still sealed up good and everything.
The linkage broke on the part that pushes the light up not on the motor itself.