General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can't believe it

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't believe it

So I'm on the highway today and go to switch lanes, and wha do you know, I end up breaking off my blinker stem thing.

Does anyone know what this is actually called so that I can try to locate a new one?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Firebird or Camaro? I'm not sure if they're the same-I have both but they feel different from one another-maybe it's just the angle they're mounted at. Anyway, I looked it up for a '99 Camaro and it's about $115 from gmpartsdirect.com.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

Check ebay as well-not sure about some of those parts, as they may be generic pieces but I'd put a generic, functional piece on my car before I bust out $115 for an OEM piece...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a trans am. The lever itself is fine, it's the bracket that it plus into that is broken. I have been trying to find a part number on that..

I think it's this part right here..

Can't believe it-qcqwg.jpg
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

That is the windshield wiper switch. I just replaced mine. Its a total PITA. With the column like you have it, you drive a pin out towards the front of the car and the switch assembly comes out. You then need to remove the terminals from the connector under the dash and then fish the wires back out. (When you do this, you'll want to pull some string through so you can pull the new wires back down.)

Is the handle that plugs in to it OK? Or does the windshield wiper switch just not hold it in any more?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
That is the windshield wiper switch. I just replaced mine. Its a total PITA. With the column like you have it, you drive a pin out towards the front of the car and the switch assembly comes out. You then need to remove the terminals from the connector under the dash and then fish the wires back out. (When you do this, you'll want to pull some string through so you can pull the new wires back down.)

Is the handle that plugs in to it OK? Or does the windshield wiper switch just not hold it in any more?
That picture is not actually of my car. I went to push the lever up and the switch/bracket snapped. I am trying to figure out the part and replace it. I am wondering if it'll be easier to just buy a better steering column with everything attached and just replace it as a whole..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by sempire
I am wondering if it'll be easier to just buy a better steering column with everything attached and just replace it as a whole..
Definitely not. Have you ever taken a steering column apart? This is the hardest thing to get to and is about a 2-3 hour job assuming you have all the needed tools. I just took pictures from my wiper switch install and will be posting a write-up soon.

Can you post a pic of what you have now? I'd like to look at the pieces. The switch has a very strong metal piece that rides on a plastic carrier. If you snapped the carrier, then you may have a bigger issue to deal with. (One that may require a new column or major rebuild.)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't believe it-ggfby.jpg

Can't believe it-7pxhw.jpg
Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Wow - that's hosed - but you should be able to replace just the wiper switch and be fine. I should be able to post my write-up on this over the weekend if you are interested. (I'm traveling right now and am away from my pics/notes.) Regardless, it will take you some time to get the new part.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damm you must hit it hard to do that. it shouldnt be to big of a deal, hardest part is taking the coloum apart
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I definitely need to pull the steering wheel and take the column apart then? I guess while i'm at it, I should just replace the steering wheel for something aftermarket..

I am thinking that this would be the right part? I have cruise control..

GM Part #26020950
SWITCH,WSW & WSWA(CPS)(W/CRCONT CONN FROM LVR)(ACDelco #D6312D)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by sempire
So I definitely need to pull the steering wheel and take the column apart then? I guess while i'm at it, I should just replace the steering wheel for something aftermarket..
You'll need to take the airbag, steering wheel, clockspring, lockplate, turn signal switch, lock cylinder, and column shroud off. To do this, you'll need a specialized steering wheel puller, a lockplate compressor. and a whole lot of patience.

Not sure if aftermarket steering wheel options exist. Pulling the wheel off is not a big deal - the rest of it is.

Your part number will depend on the year/make of your car.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Launching!

It's actually called a multifunction switch, as it encircles the column inside and includes cruise control, wiper, turn signals, and hazards. GM tech right here at a Chevy dealer, we replace them quite often.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BRUTL
It's actually called a multifunction switch, as it encircles the column inside and includes cruise control, wiper, turn signals, and hazards. GM tech right here at a Chevy dealer, we replace them quite often.
Thats awesome... Do you have a part number for that? I need to make sure I get the right one. I have cruise control also. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Not on F Bodies. They all use the old style GM column. The cruise control switch is on the lever: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=25140743, the hazards are on the other side of the column, the turn signal is on a separate switching mechanism wrapping around the shaft, and the wipers are on the wiper switch, which is the part broken here: http://www.automobile.com/chevrolet-camaro-wiper-switch-ac-delco-chevrolet-wiper-switch-d6380d-sku-acd6380d.html

So... sempire - what are you driving? Is it tilt steering? Just about every generation of car has a slightly different part. I'd be happy to give you a p/n from a 1988 Fiero, but I doubt that will make you happy when it arrives...

Last edited by wssix99; 02-04-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not on F Bodies. They all use the old style GM column. The cruise control switch is on the lever: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=25140743, the hazards are on the other side of the column, the turn signal is on a separate switching mechanism wrapping around the shaft, and the wipers are on the wiper switch, which is the part broken here: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=25140743

So... sempire - what are you driving? Is it tilt steering? Just about every generation of car has a slightly different part. I'd be happy to give you a p/n from a 1988 Fiero, but I doubt that will make you happy when it arrives...
I have a 1993 Trans Am, with tilt and cruise control.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Not on F Bodies. They all use the old style GM column. The cruise control switch is on the lever: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=25140743, the hazards are on the other side of the column, the turn signal is on a separate switching mechanism wrapping around the shaft, and the wipers are on the wiper switch, which is the part broken here: http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=25140743

Congrats, you posted a link to the lever twice. You win. Go ahead and have him buy that and keep your snide comments to yourself.

Last edited by BRUTL; 02-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. So is this a common problem then? I don't "slam" the lever like it's an M6 but I don't think about being tender with it. I guess I'm going to have to give my future turns some thought...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Congrats, you posted a link to the lever twice. You win. Go ahead and have him buy that and keep your snide comments to yourself.
I fixed the link for you. Thanks for being so helpful and taking the time to look the part where you work.

BTW - The ACDELCO Part # D6380 should fit the 93. Its what Rock Auto lists under Electrical-Switch & Relay -> Wiper Switch (I had a horrible time finding the one I just installed. Different sites list it under different categories.)