General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dies after 10-15 minutes of driving, never on highway.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies after 10-15 minutes of driving, never on highway.

Car actually did this for the first time like.. 8 months ago. It hasn't done it when it's cold outside, but will do if it's even normal temperature out. Car starts up fine always, I drive it and in about 10-15 minutes(or howover long it takes for me to get off the highway and have to idle for a minute, or drive slowly, it will start to cut in and out a bit like it's running out of gas, then it will die. It wont start right away after, it will just crank like it's out of fuel. The car has smelled a bit more like gas than I remember when I got it.

If I let it sit for 2-5 minutes it will start and run again for like 1-2 minutes then do the same thing. If I let it sit for another 10-15 minutes I can get in, start it right up, and if I hop on the highway I can make it back. It has never died on the highway even if I'm giving it gas.

So the more obvious scenario is fuel pump, but since it never does this on the highway, and has been an issue for 8 months(although it seems to be happening more often now), and starts up normally every time, I thought maybe it could be something else.

My exhaust is just longtube headers with 2 feet of pipe attached to them(So maybe the fumes are heating up the fuel lines when the car moves slowly?). I do have an o2 sensor issue when the car rains(I am about to fix that, but I don't think o2's can create the type of problem I am experiencing. Any ideas?

Oh, I also forgot to mention.. even though it cuts out while I'm driving slowly, I don't think it has ever died until I had to stop, slowly down REALLY slow, or put the clutch in.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

the gas smell sounds like it's not getting fire......bad coil packs/plugs/plug wires maybe?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

no one else?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe your getting a vacuum in the gas tank. Try driving around with the gas cap off, see if it fixes the stalling out issue. Don't worry, absolutely nothing can happen by doing that. You might get the EVAP code that sets off the SES light, it causes nothing to happen.

If that solves the stalling issue, you might have a problem with one of the two solenoids that operate the valves that move fresh air through the gas tank and evacuate fumes.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Crazy stuff, I've never heard of that ls6427, I'll give it a shot. This is such an annoying problem...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Okay so now that it's getting warm out it's starting to happen faster, and more frequently. I drive the same 14 minute drive to work every day, and during the winter the problem wouldn't happen when it was cold, but now that it's warm after about 10 minutes it will start I guess surging? like a light bucking while I'm on the highway going 70-80+, the slower I go, the more noticable the bucking is. It's a steady 1 or so seconds on, 1 or so seconds off.. like normal -> weak -> normal -> weak.

It will do this constantly for like the next 3 minutes or so of driving until I have to get off the highway, as I slow down it runs worse, and once I stop it will die. If I'm going like 25 or less it will be popping/light backfiring, then as soon as I pull up to somewhere where I stop rolling it will die.

It will NOT die while I am moving with the clutch engaged, or at least it hasn't.

This leads me to believe it's not the fuel pump.. Maybe the crank position sensor?(trust me I've been searching every combination of words to figure this out) Please help.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Okay so it's not the o2's, it's not the MAF, and I tried it with the gas cap off and it's still happening. Might try the CPS.. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM

sounds like this may be a computer problem all cars have a main brain computer most of the time they are behind the glove box you can get one for around 60 to 100 at a junk yard if you are lucky that would be my guess you have replaced many things now and this is something i have seen in the past and it was the computer then hope this helps thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok first let me say that I think you need to run a minimum two diagnostics when the cars stops running:

1. Put a fuel pressure gauge on and check your fuel pressure. Your pump may be getting hot and cutting out.

2. Check for spark.

I think you are not seeing this issue in colder weather and highway driving because your sensors are not getting too hot. On the highway, cool air is keeping them happy.

My first guess is a crank position sensor going bad but you need to check for fuel and spark after it is not running. Otherwise you are going to keep guessing.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Have Autozone or O'reilys scan your car. There may be stored codes that can lead you in the right direction.

I agree with lt1pwr1. That's exactly what I would do.

Quick Reply: Car dies after 10-15 minutes of driving, never on highway.