General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question acceleration issue

this problem has me dumbfounded.

Problem: Press down on gas pedal and RPMs go up and Engine revs but acceleration just stays the same and eventually will catch up(sometimes). Getting P0173 code for Engine too Lean Bank 2. Not getting misfires or any other codes.

New parts: In-line Fuel Filter, Fuel Pressure regulator(about 1000 miles), spark plugs(about 1000 miles).

Checked: MAF(cleaned with brake cleaner), fuel injectors and optispark wires/hoses. Cleaned air filter. I reprogrammed ECM but didnt help.

Problems: the vented hose that sucks the moisture out of the opti is jerry-riged together until i can find a new one (the blue part in the middle of the hoses is melted....if you know a cheap way to fix im open too). But i dont believe this is the issue.

My knowledge said check MAF sensors and fuel filter but im out of ideas. Its weird sometimes it has no issue and takes off like a rocket but then sometimes (especially hills) it doesnt want to go anymore

Well I hooked up my data log just to see what was going on live. Well its weird Fuel Trim Bank 1 sensor 1 is seems fine but on FT Bank 2 sensor 1 it fluctuates but when Bank 1 goes back down Bank 2 still stays at what it was.

Example, say B1 was at 7.9% and B2 was 8.1%, when i came to a idle B1 would go down to -1.2 or 0.0% but B2 would stay at like 7.8% and not move until i actually started moving again but it would never go down. So its not adding the fuel back to the mixture. Is this a O2 sensor or something else. By the way both O2 Sensor 2 on both banks are simulated with a electronic module.

any insight?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like an 02 sensor is taking a ****. And, NO, most PCM's will not throw a code for it until the sensor has totally or close to totally failed.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Teching In

i figured it was but i wasnt going to drop $80 on a hunch that it MAY be the issue. And i know it wouldnt throw a code until it totally stopped working but i wasnt sure if there was something else that would influence the fuel trim like that. I guess ill break down and get a o2 and hope for the best.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chasehammer
i figured it was but i wasnt going to drop $80 on a hunch that it MAY be the issue. And i know it wouldnt throw a code until it totally stopped working but i wasnt sure if there was something else that would influence the fuel trim like that. I guess ill break down and get a o2 and hope for the best.
Around $45.00 each at www.rockauto.com

Amazon has them too.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a similar problem, it feels like it misses around 2500 rpm or so, seems like it happens more in colder weather. but itll happen at 2000 rpm also all the way throgh 3000.... ive replaced, plugs, fuel filter, wires, i have no rear 02's or emissions stuff and it still does it. this is also on an LS1. Let us know if you figure it out cuz it drives me nuts... i also cleaned my MAF....still nothing and replaced the air charge temperature sensor...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a scanner that can data log or where you can read live data, can't you look at the o2s and make sure they are switching?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 AM

had the similar problem.. just had it fixed by my dealer.. and the 02 sensor was the root cause..
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
If you have a scanner that can data log or where you can read live data, can't you look at the o2s and make sure they are switching?
yes its "working" just probably not 100%. I have only replaced one o2 since i bought the car but i cant remember which one i replaced so chances are its just that but i wanted to put some heads together and see what comes out.

and LS6427 thanks for the tip, gonna save me some money
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I had this problem due to a dirty MAF. (The dirty MAF triggers the PCM to cut back on fuel.)

Although, if your trim curves are off - that could be a front O2 sensor acting up.

MAF(cleaned with brake cleaner)
This may cause you problems. You need to clean MAF sensors with special MAF sensor cleaner. The catch is that the sensor cleaner is non-residue, unlike brake cleaner. You can get non-residue contact cleaners, but they are not compatible with the plastic on the MAF. (For that matter, brake cleaner can also dissolve the plastic.) To make sure that you don't have any residue on the sensor, you may want to re-clean it with MAF cleaner.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I had this problem due to a dirty MAF. (The dirty MAF triggers the PCM to cut back on fuel.)

Although, if your trim curves are off - that could be a front O2 sensor acting up.

This may cause you problems. You need to clean MAF sensors with special MAF sensor cleaner. The catch is that the sensor cleaner is non-residue, unlike brake cleaner. You can get non-residue contact cleaners, but they are not compatible with the plastic on the MAF. (For that matter, brake cleaner can also dissolve the plastic.) To make sure that you don't have any residue on the sensor, you may want to re-clean it with MAF cleaner.
did not know that about the brake cleaner. thanks for the tip, i actually saw maf cleaner last time got some belt conditioner, thought it was a scam to get you to buy more crap.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

and LS6427 thanks for the tip, gonna save me some money
No problem......get the Denso sensors only...Part # 2344087

All 02 sensors are identical, the length of the wires are the only reason they have different part numbers. The part number above is the longest wire available. Use that sensor in any sensor poistion you need, then zip tie the extra wire to the frame.

They are $38.00 each right now at www.rockauto.com

Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Teching In

ok i feel kinda stupid but since i cant remember which is under my car im going to ask.

Why are some of the sensor connectors flat and others square?