General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anti-Theft Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Theft Code

I recently bought a 89 camaro RS and had to change out the steering column. Now the problem is I'm being told that I need a anti-theft code so that the car will start. I tried to go to the dealer to see if they could help me out but they told me I need to bring it in and its too far to tow. I need to know if there is some way else to get this code I know that year chevy used 15 different keys and I dont want to pay for a lock smith to come out and try all the different keys. Help please.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering columb has nothing to do with it.............take your old key and have a new key made that fits this new columb with your old key resistor value.

So the new columb you have has the RIGHT key to turn the tumbler but the WRONG resistor value. GEt it? You need to have a new key made with the right resistor value matching your old columbs key resistors value.

Last edited by O2Form; 04-09-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that I just need to have the key made with the resistor value. The problem is and the reason I changed out the column is because some one tried to steal the car and busted up the old one. I don't have the old key as I bought this as a project car. I just need to know of some other way to find out the resistance value or a way to bypass the anti theft altogether.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your problem. There is a couple ways around it, one you can buy a signal generator off ebay that feeds the sqaure wave form into the computer. OR start with the list of resistors until you get lucky and find the right one. Look around the net at site that sell the remote starters, they have bypass kits that might be as simple as using the signal generator like i mentioned and bypassing the starter lock out relay.

Quick Reply: Anti-Theft Code