General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad o2 with no ses light

Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad o2 with no ses light

Hey everyone, recently i installed a cam in my 99 trans am and got it tuned a few days later. Well while on the dyno the tuner said my passenger o2 showed no activity and therefore it is bad. Is it common for an o2 sensor to be bad without a light ?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trey1010
Hey everyone, recently i installed a cam in my 99 trans am and got it tuned a few days later. Well while on the dyno the tuner said my passenger o2 showed no activity and therefore it is bad. Is it common for an o2 sensor to be bad without a light ?
Think he's lying? lol. A dead o2 sensor can be spotted easily with tuning software and a laptop.

With factory settings, the PCM will report slow or dead o2 sensors and the SES light will come on after the fault has occurred at least twice, but the PCM can be programmed so that the fault goes unreported...

HAs the car ever been tuned b4?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Agree with the post above.. The previous owner of the car could have codes tuned out so when there is actually a code the SES light won't come on. Its funny u say that because when I bought my car my SES wasn't on and both of my 02s were bad lol
Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No I believe him and I bad him tune it about a year ago for my bolt ons. The weird thing is that is I unplugged the o2 that was supposed to be bad and then it threw a code for no activity. I would think that would be the code that it would always throw.

Search this Thread