General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

changed the oil in my 99 silverado, found needles in oil.. help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed the oil in my 99 silverado, found needles in oil.. help!!

Ok like the title says, i changed the oil in my 99 Silverado with the 5.3.. truck has around 150k miles and ive not had any issues with it whatsoever until now.. mind the truck didnt have any grinding, knocking or any noises at all i changed the oil and found little needles in the oil.. I imagine they came from a bearing of some sort but from what?? I also have noticed the truck isnt keeping oil pressure like it did before, so could this have be related to the oil pump? Im aware Ls1's are notorious for oil pump issues so any input on this would help alot...
Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little needles means your rocker arm (s) took a dump. Get the Harlan sharp upgrade to prevent this in the future or get yella terras like I did. Wait if your truck is stock I would go stock or Harlan upgrade, yella terra is overkill for most.

Also it only takes a few minutes to remove valve covers if you want to open the motor
And take a look.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rockers

Yep, LS rockers are known to give up their bearings, especally the early versions. Scorpion rockers are also a good alternative to the stock rockers as well as the Crane stock rocker trunion upgrade, I would get the rest of the stock rockers out asap.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Do the Comp Trunion Upgrade and you're money I did mine and it is a very nice upgrade.