General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver side headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driver side headlight problems

I have a '00 z28, i am having problems with my drivers side headlight, it keeps going out. It will be working perfectly fine for a while, then all of a sudden it just quits, i then have to open the hood and if i barely even touch the yellow wire that goes to the bulb connector they start working again. Sometimes i can even kinda bang on the headlight from the outside or tap on it and it will fire back up....Am i going to have to replace the connector pigtail?

I got pulled over tonight by the cops, I couldnt even tell that my drivers side was out since the street was well lit. Figures after she checks my license and insurance and lets me go I start the car and OMG! the freakin light starts working again.

This issue started a while back when a friend gave me some of those stupid blue light bulbs that simulate the look of HID's. After a week of having them i started having problems with them so I immediately took them off and put my silverstars back on. The problem went away for a long time before i could even change the connector so i forgot about it, up until last weekend when i got my new HID kit in the mail. I missed with that connector and the problem started again this weekend

This is my DD and i work late nights so i do alot of night driving and will be encountering the popo's on the way home im sure. I dont think autozone has the connector in stock do they?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

anybody??
Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You probably don't need a new connector unless there is a corrosion problem. Can you post a pic of what your connector looks like? I think the Camaro uses a 9005 bulb, right?

Your fix may be as easy as removing the problem terminal from the connector housing and bending it a bit more aggressively with a paper clip. If you have a broken terminal inside the connector, you can just put a new one on. (IMO - a lot easier than buying a new connector.)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

i was looking at it, the part that connects into the light bulb (brown piece) is burnt in the corner i guess its from those blue bulbs i used to have. Where can i buy that exact piece? I dont have a camera to put up photos sorry.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

and i think the bulb is 9006 not 9005
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You can get the parts from Mouser electronics. If you search for "Delphi connector catalog" you should be able to match up the part numbers. BTW - you should note the subtle differences between the regular and high beam connectors.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks i will look into that, It started working fine again and i havent had any problems. I thought my description was pretty obvious it was my low beam but i will remember that for next time. Thanks for the help